Are there any NPs that work with MD PhDs in research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AScientificNurse

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a nurse that switched from a focus in medicine to get my RN. (I had great grades, I just valued patient contact more than working as an MD would give me.) While being wait listed for some RN classes, I finished a science degree and a certificate in biomedical research assisting. I've looked for MD/PhD forums to post this question, but this form seems my best bet. My dream job would be a position as the right hand man of a MD/PhD in translational medicine. During my science degree, I had an internship where I was in the OR observing brain tumor resection that was brought back to the lab, grown, and tested for effective treatments. I maintained the cell cultures for this. I worked a separate project as well, using genomic editing to try to create a study model to untangle the inositol polyphosphate cascade. I loved every bit of it. From seeing the patients preop to being the bench monkey. Anyway, does anyone think there is a place for a research trained Nurse practitioner to assist the MD PhD in managing the very complicated schedule of clinical and research duties? I can't shake that this is what I want to do. I don't even know where to begin educationally. Would I need both nursing and science degrees? Would I need to be a NP? Or would I go further following a science track? Does anyone have resources for me to figure this out?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a nurse that switched from a focus in medicine to get my RN. (I had great grades, I just valued patient contact more than working as an MD would give me.) While being wait listed for some RN classes, I finished a science degree and a certificate in biomedical research assisting. I've looked for MD/PhD forums to post this question, but this form seems my best bet. My dream job would be a position as the right hand man of a MD/PhD in translational medicine. During my science degree, I had an internship where I was in the OR observing brain tumor resection that was brought back to the lab, grown, and tested for effective treatments. I maintained the cell cultures for this. I worked a separate project as well, using genomic editing to try to create a study model to untangle the inositol polyphosphate cascade. I loved every bit of it. From seeing the patients preop to being the bench monkey. Anyway, does anyone think there is a place for a research trained Nurse practitioner to assist the MD PhD in managing the very complicated schedule of clinical and research duties? I can't shake that this is what I want to do. I don't even know where to begin educationally. Would I need both nursing and science degrees? Would I need to be a NP? Or would I go further following a science track? Does anyone have resources for me to figure this out?

Have you researched the DNP? My final project is a quantitative research study requiring IRB approval. DNP/NP might be a good fit for you as you do both at once.

Yeah, there's some out there. You'll be greatly aided in credibility by obtaining added qualifications in translational research, biostatistics, or epidemiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, there's some out there. You'll be greatly aided in credibility by obtaining added qualifications in translational research, biostatistics, or epidemiology.

Translational research, epidemiology and biostatistics are all core components of the DNP, plus you also become an NP if in that track. Take a look into the programs.

Reactions: 1 user