Are there any nursing majors or nurses out there that are now premed ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunShinePreMed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am part way into a biochem/ biology double major and am considering doing a nursing degree because it offeres clinical experience and provides the opportunity of becoming a cRNA if I dont get into med school. Anyone else in nursing or considering nursing ? If not... do you know any Premeds doing nursing ?

Members don't see this ad.

SunShinePreMed said:
I am part way into a biochem/ biology double major and am considering doing a nursing degree because it offeres clinical experience and provides the opportunity of becoming a cRNA if I dont get into med school. Anyone else in nursing or considering nursing ? If not... do you know any Premeds doing nursing ?

I believe that adcoms generally frown upon this because it's losing one health care worker for another. Basically you'd be taking up a spot. If you really want to go to med school you will get in. I think it's ******ed when advisers or whomever tells someone to choose a major wisely in case of a backup plan to not getting into medschool. People bust tables for a living while doing other things to support themselves as they make their dreams come true. There's also the chance that your grades will suffer as you'll be doing clinicals in addition to your other science classes.

superdavykinz said:
I believe that adcoms generally frown upon this because it's losing one health care worker for another. Basically you'd be taking up a spot. If you really want to go to med school you will get in. I think it's ******ed when advisers or whomever tells someone to choose a major wisely in case of a backup plan to not getting into medschool. People bust tables for a living while doing other things to support themselves as they make their dreams come true. There's also the chance that your grades will suffer as you'll be doing clinicals in addition to your other science classes.

Well this gets asked a lot. Its my opinion and experience (of knowing people) that nurses have just as good a chance as anyone else, if they try hard.

Statistically, they dont get in as often - however,
There are other factors involved (besides their major) that cause this. (ie: not having taken the right sciences, having lower gpas, not having extracurriculars or research)

Members don't see this ad :)
superdavykinz said:
busting tables? is that kind of like karate? :idea:

karate.gif

In response to those who think nurses do not get into med school.
I am a Registered Nurse applying this yr to get in 2006. I have a 3.9 GPA and on top of that had to take the extra science classes, bio, organics, phys for the regular pre-med part. Plus I was very active in school- student leadership , sports to all kinds of extr-curricula activities.
Research wise , the Nursing degree program requires that students take the course Nursing Research and actually perform some research , so hey there you go.
The big advantage is that one does get the needed clinical experience, knowledge, patient relation skills, clinical assessment, etc and a very very realistic picture of what one is getting into.
2nd if one participates in their field like in the hospital they work in and contribute research wise and stuff that's a big plus.
The list is long but I just wanted to correct the ones who had the opinion that nurses do not qualify or get into med school. I think that most nurses want to be nurses that 's why they do not go for medicine but still there are those and many of them BTW who have taken this route to become superb physicians with a wholistic view of patients.

If my post sounded like I didn't think nurses could become doctors or get into medschool that wasn't what I was trying to say. Of course anyone can get in but some schools would think of it in a negative way as the health care force or whatever would be losing a healthcare worker. If you want to be a doctor, be one or if you want to be a nurse be one but don't choose both.

TheProwler said:
busting tables? is that kind of like karate? :idea:

karate.gif

Indeed. Haven't you heard of those 50k tournaments? You can make a decent amount of money doing that and fighting. !_!

midu said:
Nursing degree program requires that students take the course Nursing Research and actually perform some research , so hey there you go.
The big advantage is that one does get the needed clinical experience, knowledge, patient relation skills, clinical assessment, etc and a very very realistic picture of what one is getting into.
2nd if one participates in their field like in the hospital they work in and contribute research wise and stuff that's a big plus.
The list is long but I just wanted to correct the ones who had the opinion that nurses do not qualify or get into med school. I think that most nurses want to be nurses that 's why they do not go for medicine but still there are those and many of them BTW who have taken this route to become superb physicians with a wholistic view of patients.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
I completely agree with you. I chose nursing against all other premed courses for the clinical experience and to get as near to the patient/client as possible. I couldn't think of any other course that would allow me to integrate studying the body and diseases and patient relation skills, PA skills, and then be formally evaluated for how much I have learned. i don't think i would have gotten that if i just volunteered and studied another course. Also, there's so much more to medicine than diseases, nursing teaches you how to interact with your patient and to look at the whole person. it also allows you a very close view of the doctor (lots of shadowing) if you wanted to go on to medschool. :luck:
I guess most people still think nursing as mere manual work and following orders, or wiping people's butts; I used to, but the Nursing Research and Theories subjects rigidity actually made me rethink that old thnking. ;)

My mom is a physician for almost three decades and she has told me that in the four years that I have studied nursing and discussed some things with her, she is learning so many other things about patient care that she never gave much thought to before, or some things that confirmed for her what were her own ideas about what medicine should be: caring for the whole person.
I guess it depends on what kind of doctor you want to be. I decided that i wanted to be a doctor who will be good in the sciences but also with great bedside skills. Still a long way to go :D , but nursing gives a good beginning. :)