Are there any osteopathic dermatology residencies out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UserNameNeeded

SOS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what residencies are where and what they are like, so can anyone help me out?

Members don't see this ad.

UserNameNeeded said:
I have no idea what residencies are where and what they are like, so can anyone help me out?

yes there are. Although i am also curious to know how good these residencies are. Anyone who has done one of these residencies can maybe provide some info.

Members don't see this ad :)
tsdesai said:
yes there are. Although i am also curious to know how good these residencies are. Anyone who has done one of these residencies can maybe provide some info.

Good luck finding someone who has completed one of these residencies. They are very mysterious creatures. The program directors are also cryptic, mystical creatures. You may send them an email, but it's likely to be regarded with wariness resulting in the PD ensconcing him or herself back into the shadowy realm of the AOA Opportunities site. Embark on this path with trepidation young warrior, for it is a labryinth in which even the most cunning find themselves astray without a soul to assist them.

(nicedream) said:
Good luck finding someone who has completed one of these residencies. They are very mysterious creatures. The program directors are also cryptic, mystical creatures. You may send them an email, but it's likely to be regarded with wariness resulting in the PD ensconcing him or herself back into the shadowy realm of the AOA Opportunities site. Embark on this path with trepidation young warrior, for it is a labryinth in which even the most cunning find themselves astray without a soul to assist them.

Sounds like the introduction to a fantasy role playing game. :D

CatsandCradles said:
Sounds like the introduction to a fantasy role playing game. :D

Indeed it is, Cats, indeed it is...

(nicedream) said:

Ah, yes...how I love the difference between the real world and the SDN world.

These mysterious creatures take care of my wife's dermatologic problems very competently (yes, we drive 2 hours just to be treated by the resident of a derm program in Ohio).

On top of that, the PD of the derm program at my school and one of his DO colleagues (who practices in a different town) decided to come out of the AOA Opportunities site and give us a 1 hour lunch presentation on derm as a career, and later that day in the evening gave an informal presentation on how to manage a career as a DO dermatologist (solo practice? group? insurance types, Medicare/aid, etc.).

Yes, a DO in dermatology is as rare as a DO working in an urban hospital and prescribing drugs. After all, all DOs are family docs working in rural hospitals, right? Must be true...I read that on SDN.

Shinken said:
Ah, yes...how I love the difference between the real world and the SDN world.

These mysterious creatures take care of my wife's dermatologic problems very competently (yes, we drive 2 hours just to be treated by the resident of a derm program in Ohio).

On top of that, the PD of the derm program at my school and one of his DO colleagues (who practices in a different town) decided to come out of the AOA Opportunities site and give us a 1 hour lunch presentation on derm as a career, and later that day in the evening gave an informal presentation on how to manage a career as a DO dermatologist (solo practice? group? insurance types, Medicare/aid, etc.).

Yes, a DO in dermatology is as rare as a DO working in an urban hospital and prescribing drugs. After all, all DOs are family docs working in rural hospitals, right? Must be true...I read that on SDN.

1. Ever heard of joking? Did my post seem serious to you? If so, you need to get out more.

2. I never said anything about DOs being dermatologists. They are in fact over-represented in dermatology and there are 2 in my rather small town. However both did MD residencies.

3. If you have looked into the DO dermatology programs, you would find that the majority of them are extremely disorganized and impossible to get information on. I believe at least 4 of the ones listed on the AOA site are now closed. I have personal experience with trying to get information, and you are lucky if an email is returned.

4. Why don't you share with us what program you are referring to, since that would be helpful to people looking to apply?

(nicedream) said:
1. Ever heard of joking? Did my post seem serious to you? If so, you need to get out more.

2. I never said anything about DOs being dermatologists. They are in fact over-represented in dermatology and there are 2 in my rather small town. However both did MD residencies.

3. If you have looked into the DO dermatology programs, you would find that the majority of them are extremely disorganized and impossible to get information on. I believe at least 4 of the ones listed on the AOA site are now closed. I have personal experience with trying to get information, and you are lucky if an email is returned.

4. Why don't you share with us what program you are referring to, since that would be helpful to people looking to apply?

1- Your post seemed to use humor to express an opinion that derm programs and DO derms are nonexistent, which is untrue. It that wasn't your intention then I apologize. SDN seems to perpetuate a lot of misinformation (DOs can't prescribe, DOs can't work in hospitals, etc.) and pre-meds for reasons that I can't figure out yet, seem to put a lot of weight on what's said on this forum. My post wasn't mean to attack you personally. And yes, as a matter of fact I do need to get out more and I admit it (boards are coming up).

2- Agree.

3- I haven't looked into derm programs. I'm more of a family medicine guy.

4- The derm program is the one at O'bleness Memorial Hospital (http://ohiocoreonline.org//content/view/109/155/). I don't know much about the quality or organization of the program, but if the residents are any indication, it's not a bad program at all, and I know the PD and he's super nice. Also, the program isn't based at O'Bleness but at a hospital in Zanesville, OH that's much bigger than O'Bleness.

Shinken said:
1- Your post seemed to use humor to express an opinion that derm programs and DO derms are nonexistent, which is untrue. It that wasn't your intention then I apologize. SDN seems to perpetuate a lot of misinformation (DOs can't prescribe, DOs can't work in hospitals, etc.) and pre-meds for reasons that I can't figure out yet, seem to put a lot of weight on what's said on this forum. My post wasn't mean to attack you personally. And yes, as a matter of fact I do need to get out more and I admit it (boards are coming up).

2- Agree.

3- I haven't looked into derm programs. I'm more of a family medicine guy.

4- The derm program is the one at O'bleness Memorial Hospital (http://ohiocoreonline.org//content/view/109/155/). I don't know much about the quality or organization of the program, but if the residents are any indication, it's not a bad program at all, and I know the PD and he's super nice. Also, the program isn't based at O'Bleness but at a hospital in Zanesville, OH that's much bigger than O'Bleness.

No problem. My post was using humor to express the opinion that it's very difficult to get information on AOA dermatology programs, and the fact that the AOA Opportunities site is downright lousy. Thanks for the tip on O'Bleness.

There is a program at Northeast Regional in Kirksville. I don't know much about the program, but I know a couple of the residents here. My wife has been to see them and she liked them. If your interested let me know and I could try to get one of them to send you some info or an email.

There is a program at Kingman Regional Med Center in AZ, as well. I would contact Lori Hopper at (928)757-0649 or [email protected]. She's the GME coordinator and should be able to connect you with the PD.