Are there any other OD programs that have a dual OD/MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibalz

PUCO c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SUNY has one, and SCO might have one. Does anyone know of any others?

At my wife's pharmacy school the PharmD./MBA option was available, and I thought that was interesting.

My B.S. is in business administration and I would think that would be incredibly useful if your goal is PP. Considering the number of us that are aiming for PP, why wouldn't it be an option at the non-research heavy schools?

The other thread I found on this is here (post courtesy of JeffChou):

"SUNY offers a joint OD/MBA program that can take either 4 or 5 years depending on the courseload you want. The MBA in healthcare is done at Baruch College with night classes I think.

http://www.sunyopt.edu/academics/grad_mba.shtml

If you can do it here (probably really tough considering the OD program at SUNY is already very demanding), you may try to find another part-time evening MBA course that may fit in your schedule."

Here's the link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=488332&highlight=OD/MBA

Any input would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I could not imagine taking night classes in addition to the classes already being taken. That would be extremely strenuous.

Well, UC Berkeley has a MS program in Vision Sciences for people that already have ODs and they have a PhD/MS program, but it doesn't look like any simultaneous OD/MS programs...

Members don't see this ad :)
Nova's going to be getting one.

Really, do you know when? I realize you are attending Nova now, so did you get this information from your professors?
I graduate in May, and I will be applying to Nova this summer :)

Well, UC Berkeley has a MS program in Vision Sciences for people that already have ODs and they have a PhD/MS program, but it doesn't look like any simultaneous OD/MS programs...

Why would any school have a PhD/MS program? That doesn't seem to make too much sense. You're either a Masters student or a PhD student aren't you?

Why would any school have a PhD/MS program? That doesn't seem to make too much sense. You're either a Masters student or a PhD student aren't you?

In some graduate programs, the graduate student is awarded the MS degree if they don't want to finish their PhDs. Therefore, this might be the combined program that is intimated.

Most often a terminal MS student will take courses that might parallel the PhD student in the first year and programs may give the MS student the chance to jump to the PhD track. Also, MS-only students may not be supported by research grants as often as PhD students.

Sure. But that's not exactly a dual-degree program.

It's more like you're a grad student and you can switch tracks between the MS and PhD. But you're not exactly doing both at the same time.

"...My B.S. is in business administration and I would think that would be incredibly useful if your goal is PP. Considering the number of us that are aiming for PP, why wouldn't it be an option at the non-research heavy schools?..."

Getting back to your question on this paragraph "would an MBA or other degree be helpful in private practice?

Definitely no, especially since you have an undergraduate business degree. I think the only value of an OD/MBA is life after clinical care or private practice.