are there any pre meds med students who will be 19 ....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Olly5, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Olly5

Olly5 Member

or turned 19 when they apply/applied to medical school? i just wanted to know what specific challenges you felt when applying or interviewing, like did you have to prove to the admission committee that you were mature enough?(and optional:and where your grades spectacular or just enough?)
    thanks
    O.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

hey olly, maybe this doesn't count but i'm applying now and will be 19 during part of the interview season. i think one can assuage the maturity issue simple by ones manner of speaking and body language. i look a bit older so maybe it won't even matter for me. anyway goodluck though.
    -jot

4. Olly5

Olly5 Member

thanks jot i will also be 19 during the interview period, anyway good luck in your interviews.

5. jot

jot

what schools are you applying to? just curious ... enjoy.
    -jot

6. jot

jot

i wonder if there is any empirical information about any disadvantage/advangtage/lack thereof age has on the process. whatever, i guess its up to the person.
    -jot

7. Olly5

Olly5 Member

hey jot well i havent started applying to schools . i am going to take the mcats next spring but i am 18 and i will be a junior this fall, and i am also an international student so looks like i have many factors supposedly against me. i kind of have an idea of which schools accept international students but i am thinking my age might be another factor.
    O.

8. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

I'm gonig to be 21 (the "normal" age of students applying to medical school). I don't really think that 2 years is a big difference... they might not even notice... unless you made a big deal of it in your PS or something....

9. medravi

medravi Junior Member

I am currently 20 and will be starting med school this fall. When I applied I was 18 (I was accepted two years prior to my matriculation). I had no problems as far as interviews, etc. were concerned. There's no reason for age to have any bearing on your performance during the interviews as they'll ask the same/similar questions that they'd ask any other applicant. As long as you carry yourself with a mature attitude, you won't have any problems. Good luck.

10. ellerose

ellerose Member

A classmate of mine in college will be attending the University of Arizona College of Medicine this fall. She was 17 when she graduated this past December. Depending on when her birthday is, she is either 17 or 18 right now. I know she also got into at least one other school, but then again, she didn't apply to that many (I think under 5). She had an awesome GPA (I think close to, if not a 4.0), and probably did great on her MCAT. I actually thought that her age and her appearance (she looks quite young) would be a hinderance in the application process, but she definitely proved me wrong in my assumptions. She is very mature-minded and it probably showed through in her personal statement and interviews. U of A was her first choice, so I think she is very happy with the outcome.

11. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.

a 21 yr old just graduated last month from UC-Davis who came in as the youngest ever MS1 @ 17. He got a full ride there (very rare, especially California schools) and was interviewed at Cornell, Stanford among some others. He was in some sort of program for younguns coming into college at 13 in Cal State-L.A. Found his experience to be great there, still keeps in contact with his fellow younguns now at Yale, Finch (MD/PhD) and other great law and grad schools. As for the interview, he said most of the fellow interviewers found it pretty awesome and the interviewers seemed not to mind, although a few seemed very skeptical of his abilitt to understand what it was to be a doc at 16.

I'm really proud of him, as he is not only a fellow Libyan-American but also a fellow Mr. T :) Actually, I take that back, he is now a Dr. T :D

12. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member

Hey,
    (i know i' m bringing out an old topic, but happens when you play with the search engine :)

My brother first applied when he was 16 or 17 (start right after his 19th b-day). He had good stats: 3.8 GPS, UC Berkely student (he would graduate when he's 18), i think around 34 MCAT, excellent research, decent ECs (probably a very strong rec letter from the ER room he volunteered with). He got, like, two or three interviews, ZERO acceptances. We were cal residents then. Two years later, (illinois residents then), he applied, I think he got two or three acceptances (finch, any Univ of Illinois he wanted, maybe rush). He's at UIC (chic)

So, i'm 18, now. Graduated WashU in St. Louis. I'll start the application in a year (matriculate in 2004), so i'll be 19 then (doing research now, two years). MY stats are good, ~3.8 GPA, good research, lots of ECs.

I think, i will in someway need to prove maturity, throughout the whole process, though.

I also know someone who started out at WashU when she was 18.

Most premed advisors have been very encouraging to the idea of taking time off, especially b/ c i'm younger. sure, the idea stemmed mostly out of my brother experience. Now, i think, that perhaps i did have a good chance if i di dn't take the time off, but it can't hurt.
    Sonya

13. Resident Alien

Relax. If you're good, you'll get in.

14. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major

I'll be 19 when I start med school so i think I'll be like 18 when I apply.

15. exigente chica

I feel really old all of a sudden, you guys are amazing:clap:

good luck

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench

I know. I just realized that these folks were born in THE EIGHTIES!!! :D It is great that you guys have come so far so fast. You'll be fine.

FORD was president when I was born. Sheesh. :rolleyes: