ARE THERE ANY PTs FROM CALI? I NEED SOME ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinLeeDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello :)

I'm Justin, a recent DPT grad from NY. Although I have loans to pay off, my heart is really leaning towards moving out to San Diego and trying to survive out there. I have 2 simple questions that would help me out a lot.

1. What is the best method/resource available to find a job there?

2. What is a reasonable salary there? I know clinics will ask me for what I expect as salary and I'd like to offer a competitive yet reasonable number.

Thank you so much for your time. I truly appreciate it.

-Justin Lee

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Justin,

Just thought I'd chime in real quick and post a link from the Bureau of Labor Statistics that I have found very helpful. Scroll down to the map titled "Annual Mean Wage of physical therapists, by area, May 2012" and you'll see for San Diego that the average salary is just over $90k/year. It also lists the different percentile wages. Hope this gives you a better idea of what to expect salary-wise!

*EDIT*

I guess I should also say that I've only been to San Diego once... when I lived in LA for a year. I don't know a whole lot about SD but people love it there, and it was BEAUTIFUL. I went there to visit the zoo, which was AMAZING!

Hey Justin,

I hope this will give you a general idea. It really depends on what you're trying to actually do. From a lot of people I've talked to, you have even more opportunity for financial growth if you want to add in some per diem work as well. I was born and raised in SD and love it here. I'd do research if I were you to make sure which part of town you want to work in. I'm currently about to enter grad school, but I work as an aide at a wonderful practice in la jolla (which is one of the most beautiful [and loaded] beach areas). In terms of finding a job, your best bet will always be to know someone through networking...otherwise, apply everywhere!

http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Physical-Therapist-l-San-Diego,-CA.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello :)

I'm Justin, a recent DPT grad from NY. Although I have loans to pay off, my heart is really leaning towards moving out to San Diego and trying to survive out there. I have 2 simple questions that would help me out a lot.

1. What is the best method/resource available to find a job there?

2. What is a reasonable salary there? I know clinics will ask me for what I expect as salary and I'd like to offer a competitive yet reasonable number.

Thank you so much for your time. I truly appreciate it.

-Justin Lee
Hi Justin,

1. One resource that is sometimes overlooked is the CPTA website.

2. I see the salary posted by the previous reply. It would depend on the setting. New graduates working in Outpatient will make slightly less.
Working in SNF/LTC may be a bit more lucrative but unsure of the current rates. Local hospital rates for experienced PTs seem to be approx $38.00- $42.00 per hour.

3. The cost of living is high, comparable to NYC. You state NY, if that is upstate than the cost of living in SD will be greater.

4. It is beautiful here, if you are active you may never leave: )

Good Luck!

Thank you guys so much for your advice. It has been really helpful!