Are there any radiologists who DO NOT like their job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AK_MD2BE

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that every radiologist that I talk to loves their job. So, I was wondering...is there such a thing as an unhappy radiologist? People on this forum make radiology sound like its all cherries (great)...what are the drawbacks/downfalls of radiology? Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to me that every radiologist that I talk to loves their job. So, I was wondering...is there such a thing as an unhappy radiologist? People on this forum make radiology sound like its all cherries (great)...what are the drawbacks/downfalls of radiology? Thanks. :)

Of course there are unhappy radiologists. There are disgruntled people in every field. If you have read through the recent threads, you should be aware of current and upcoming issues.

In case you missed it here are some issues as well as others: Self referral by clinicians to their own scanner which leads to driving up costs leading congress to pass global imaging reimbursement cuts. To maintain your pay with decreasing reimbursement you have to increase workload. Small groups being taken over by walmart style mega groups. Turf issues: IR vs practically practically every nonradiologist who does procedures. Perceived lack of patient contact (is this really a negative?), lack of recognition by the lay public of what you actually do (who cares?)

If you want to know more about these issues check out the general radiology forum at Auntminnie.com

Assuming you actually enjoy the work that you do, even if you take into consideration all of the negatives, the positives far out way the negatives, everyday of the week. What other specialty doesn't have its issues? If you take any other specialty and do the same few are anywhere near as appealing as radiology.

Of course there are unhappy radiologists. There are disgruntled people in every field. If you have read through the recent threads, you should be aware of current and upcoming issues.

In case you missed it here are some issues as well as others: Self referral by clinicians to their own scanner which leads to driving up costs leading congress to pass global imaging reimbursement cuts. To maintain your pay with decreasing reimbursement you have to increase workload. Small groups being taken over by walmart style mega groups. Turf issues: IR vs practically practically every nonradiologist who does procedures. Perceived lack of patient contact (is this really a negative?), lack of recognition by the lay public of what you actually do (who cares?)

If you want to know more about these issues check out the general radiology forum at Auntminnie.com

Assuming you actually enjoy the work that you do, even if you take into consideration all of the negatives, the positives far out way the negatives, everyday of the week. What other specialty doesn't have its issues? If you take any other specialty and do the same few are anywhere near as appealing as radiology.

Well played Hans, well played