Are there any threads or websites that have compiled links to match lists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beaverfetus

poo-tee-weet?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
title says it

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
title says it

Just a word of caution -- as an undergrad, you won't really have the expertise to know how to interpret a match list. Most med students only learn what places are good once they have chosen a specialty and sat down with a mentor of that specialty and found out via word of mouth which programs are the best and which are places to steer clear of. In many specialties, the schools that are known as the best in that field may not be the ones you think. And not all competitive residencies are equal -- a less competitive specialty at an extremely competitive program can often be a better match than a more competitive specialty. And there is a ton of self selection in matching, such that a school where all students got their first choice may actually be a much better match list than another school that matched 10% of its class into competitive derm residencies but the bottom half of the class matched poorly. Thus I would view match lists as interesting but not particularly important when considering schools.

Just a word of caution -- as an undergrad, you won't really have the expertise to know how to interpret a match list. Most med students only learn what places are good once they have chosen a specialty and sat down with a mentor of that specialty and found out via word of mouth which programs are the best and which are places to steer clear of. In many specialties, the schools that are known as the best in that field may not be the ones you think. And not all competitive residencies are equal -- a less competitive specialty at an extremely competitive program can often be a better match than a more competitive specialty. And there is a ton of self selection in matching, such that a school where all students got their first choice may actually be a much better match list than another school that matched 10% of its class into competitive derm residencies but the bottom half of the class matched poorly. Thus I would view match lists as interesting but not particularly important when considering schools.

your tone is condescending, and your advice is based on faulty assumptions.

your tone is condescending, and your advice is based on faulty assumptions.

I didn't mean to be condescending, and you are posting your question on pre-allo so it is reasonable to assume you are not in med school yet, and are using match lists to assist in your decision. Otherwise I stand by my prior post. Good luck.

I didn't mean to be condescending, and you are posting your question on pre-allo so it is reasonable to assume you are not in med school yet. Otherwise I stand by my prior post. Good luck.

the assumption I was referring to was that I plan to use the information to inform my preference for medical schools, when in fact that has nothing to do with why I wanted the lists.

but no harm done, and thanks for the well wishes.

Does anyone know about FSU's match list? It isn't on that list and everytime I tried at the website it never worked......I am really just curious as to what they wind up doing.