Are there books designed strictly for practice for 2015 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TooMuchPressure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily practice tests, but questions with the same format as the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean questions delivered one at a time on the computer screen?

Or do you mean question style?

Given that the MCAT has a wide range of passages and questions written by a wide range of authors, the format of the questions is not consistent. Add in that they draw from old exams and the range is even greater.

So you can safely assume that every set of materials out there is a mix of realistic and unrealistic questions. The most important thing is the explanation and how much you learn from it so that you can apply what you learn to further questions on that subject.

Do you mean questions delivered one at a time on the computer screen?

Or do you mean question style?

Given that the MCAT has a wide range of passages and questions written by a wide range of authors, the format of the questions is not consistent. Add in that they draw from old exams and the range is even greater.

So you can safely assume that every set of materials out there is a mix of realistic and unrealistic questions. The most important thing is the explanation and how much you learn from it so that you can apply what you learn to further questions on that subject.
What I meant by that is a book with only passages and questions that share similar style with the new MCAT. I guess I should have been more specific. What I am confused about is people keep saying "practice practice practice", but when I am studying from my EK books there doesn't seem to be enough "practice" to really test if you understand the material. For example, how do I practice CARS other than taking FL. The EK book only has 4 30 minute exams in the back and a couple passages with 8 questions that follow. Are there any books out there for 2015 MCAT that are only used for CARS practice?

What I meant by that is a book with only passages and questions that share similar style with the new MCAT. I guess I should have been more specific. What I am confused about is people keep saying "practice practice practice", but when I am studying from my EK books there doesn't seem to be enough "practice" to really test if you understand the material. For example, how do I practice CARS other than taking FL. The EK book only has 4 30 minute exams in the back and a couple passages with 8 questions that follow. Are there any books out there for 2015 MCAT that are only used for CARS practice?

If you want CARS practice I would recommend
1) AAMC New MCAT material
2) Old AAMC MCAT material(old Verbal and new CARS are almost identical)
3) TPRH Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook
4) EK 101 passages

This should give you alot of practice. No the timing isn't perfect but these are all solid sources for developing skills that can help you on the actual MCAT and prepare you for the types of questions you will be asked on the actual MCAT. Note CARS is very variable and different people have different abilities for it; there is no guarantee of getting the score you want no matter how much you study or how high your practice scores are for a section as variable as CARs .

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want CARS practice I would recommend
1) AAMC New MCAT material
2) Old AAMC MCAT material(old Verbal and new CARS are almost identical)
3) TPRH Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook
4) EK 101 passages

This should give you alot of practice. No the timing isn't perfect but these are all solid sources for developing skills that can help you on the actual MCAT and prepare you for the types of questions you will be asked on the actual MCAT. Note CARS is very variable and different people have different abilities for it; there is no guarantee of getting the score you want no matter how much you study or how high your practice scores are for a section as variable as CARs .
Thanks! Also, what about the other sections of the MCAT? Or is learning the material then taking FL exams the best way to do it?

Thanks! Also, what about the other sections of the MCAT? Or is learning the material then taking FL exams the best way to do it?

I found that BR the passages, questions, and especially yhe explanations for chemistry, physics, and biology helped more than anything else. I liked the EK questions, but got frustrated at the bare bones explanations and errata. They are good supplement though.