Are there Doctors who don't practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meaning, are there people with MD degrees (or DO, DDS, MD/PhD, etc) who don't practice in a clinic or hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

Meaning, are there people with MD degrees (or DO, DDS, MD/PhD, etc) who don't practice in a clinic or hospital?
Of course! There are researchers, legislators, lobbyists, expert consultants, media ******, businesspeople, product representatives, felons...the list goes on and on.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes people get sick such that they can't practice their chosen field (particularly specialties that involve surgical interventions). Some get sick of medicine.
Some become authors, tv executives or grab a law degree and become plaintiffs attorneys.
I've even known an MD or two who became stay-at-home moms.

Reactions: 1 users
I forgot where I saw it (may have been school specific stats) but about 10-20% of the graduates went on to not practice clinical medicine. More and more people are going into biotech, education, administration, and consult for businesses and court cases.

My supervisor was a pathologist and is now just a research associate in biotech.

Reactions: 1 user
Some of them write books about bringing dinosaurs back to life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users