Are there extended Neurophysiology fellowships that have a research year or two?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alakazam123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any neurophysiology fellowship that lasts 3 years with the final years being research years? Kind of like Neuro-oncology fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Hopkins/NIH for neuromuscular?

If you want to do research then you need to pick between neuromuscular and epilepsy. A mixed EMG/EEG fellowship is generally enough to let you bill for carpal tunnel EMGs and routine EEGs in the private practice world but if you want to specialize and develop a research career then it's a poor shortcut that isn't looked favorably upon.

As mentioned above there are fellowships like that. Wash U neuromuscular for example takes as many fellows as some places have residents and has an option for a research track. Similar places exist for epilepsy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that at any institution with a good amount of institutional funding available, you could take a one year neurophysiology spot, apply for a T32-type grant that year, then do research for another 1-2 years (on a pretty similar salary). At one point this year (I'm doing neurophys now), when I was really missing research life, I looked into applying for one of our institutional T32's to do this exactly (there were spots available). I'm at Baylor in Houston-- feel free to PM me if you have any questions about our setup!

I think that at any institution with a good amount of institutional funding available, you could take a one year neurophysiology spot, apply for a T32-type grant that year, then do research for another 1-2 years (on a pretty similar salary). At one point this year (I'm doing neurophys now), when I was really missing research life, I looked into applying for one of our institutional T32's to do this exactly (there were spots available). I'm at Baylor in Houston-- feel free to PM me if you have any questions about our setup!
Do you need us citizenship for t32?