are there fellowships which *require* basic science research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waxedapathetic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard program directors and SDN posters express an opinion surgeons are more well suited to non-basic science research. I've also heard basic science research is important for some competitive fellowships.

In yall's opinion, do some fellowships "require" basic science research? (e.g. Peds, SurgOnc, Colorectal...) *More specifically, would they not view worthwhile non-basic science as equivalent to basic science research when choosing a fellow.*

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure there are some programs that "require" it of their potential fellows, but I don't think it is true for every program in any specialty.

I think there are some fellowships (pedi-surg, surg-onc) which are difficult to get into without any research, but I think clinical research would be fine -- it's much easier to complete clinical projects and have something to show for it (manuscripts, etc) than basic science research - at least for the surgery resident limited to 1-2 years in the lab. I chose to get my MPH and pursue clinical research while in the lab and I feel I could apply for any fellowship and be competitive.