Are there guidelines for when to retake classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woohoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh how I miss the search function! I'm pretty sure I blew my grade in second semester gen chem. I was calculating my grade and even if I did well on the final, the highest I can get is a C-, but I think a D is pretty likely. It was the stupid little things that brought my grade down: a lazy lab partner, forgetting assignments, etc. I take full blame but I'm mad at myself cuz I know I'm smarter than a D. Anyways now I'm wondering if I should retake? I've remember other posts where the advice was to do better in upper level stuff but how do i do well in say, orgo, if I sucked at gen chem? Also is there any general advice on when to retake/not retake a class? Thank you sooooooooo much.

Members don't see this ad.

If you got a D in general chemistry you will need to retake it. Medical schools require a satisfactory pass (C or higher) in all required coursework.

I think the two most important aspects of general chemistry that are required for organic chemistry are valence and acid/base chemistry. If you know these well you'll have a good foundation for organic chemistry.