1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Are there lab reports in med school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by lawnboy313, May 8, 2007.

1. lawnboy313

7+ Year Member

I can't stand lab reports. Bane of my pre-med existence. Anyone know if these kind of pointless, life-sucking regurgitative assignments continue on in med school?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bengalswillwin

Bengalswillwin Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    you haven't even taken your MCAT yet. Worry about the MCAT first. :luck:

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think we had one or two (related to cardio-physlogy) but not really like college and nothing graded.
    But research lab work and publications are certainly encouraged at some places (esp in terms of summer work or if seeking certain residencies) and those can involve far more significant keeping of lab notes and data than any orgo lab experiment.

5. LifetimeDoc

LifetimeDoc EM Attending
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've heard of med students needing to write practice pathology reports for gross anatomy, plus all the paperwork involved with histories and everything related to patient care. Clinical medicine is full of lab reports...er...paperwork. Get used to it! :)

6. Hurricane95

Hurricane95 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No.

You write stuff (like histories and SOAP notes and stuff), but it's all written mostly in shorthand and with symbols. Every now and then we have to write some stuff for the doctoring course, like a reaction to a clinical study we read, or a short case study, but nothing compared to undergrad and we are not graded on our writing format. The writings are also very brief. I write very few complete sentences anymore, mostly symbols, arrows and fragments. My past english teachers would cringe.