Are there opportunities to do research during MS3/4?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UAAWolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys- I was just wondering if anyone has been in on clinical research during MS3/4. I'm doing some research this summer after MS1...but it's basically just helping a doc with some statistics and stuff. It doesn't have a chance to get published due to the fact not enough patients are in the study, but we might be able to do a poster presentation.

I still don't know how important research is in med school, but I'm worried I might be lacking in it if all I have on my residency app is Ortho research that didn't even get published.

What's everyones thoughts on this? Thanks!

FYI: I'm pretty sure I will be aiming for IM or ER, so I don't know if that changes things. Maybe research doesn't matter unless you're going for top residencies? IDK

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys- I was just wondering if anyone has been in on clinical research during MS3/4. I'm doing some research this summer after MS1...but it's basically just helping a doc with some statistics and stuff. It doesn't have a chance to get published due to the fact not enough patients are in the study, but we might be able to do a poster presentation.

I still don't know how important research is in med school, but I'm worried I might be lacking in it if all I have on my residency app is Ortho research that didn't even get published.

What's everyones thoughts on this? Thanks!

FYI: I'm pretty sure I will be aiming for IM or ER, so I don't know if that changes things. Maybe research doesn't matter unless you're going for top residencies? IDK

Research is nice but not essential for EM. They just want you to be a normal person who did SOMETHING.

I did research my 4th year. Took on a project as soon as I was done with my 3rd year rotations. It is a little slow going so its not published yet, but at least I had something to talk about and I could talk about the process, the research and what I learned.

From what I have been told a quick way to get some stuff to put down for "research" in M3/M4 is to write up a case report on an interesting case you observe. (and then submit it somewhere) Not super time intensive and still gets you some kudos.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have been told a quick way to get some "research" in M3/M4 is to write up a case report on an interesting case you observe. Not super time intensive and still gets you some kudos.

Yeah. More common is to ask some residents you know. They likely have a case waiting to be written that they haven't had time to do. They'll let you do the grunt work and give you part authorship.

The likelihood of a med student seeing a case interesting enough to be written up is somewhat small.

Yeah. More common is to ask some residents you know. They likely have a case waiting to be written that they haven't had time to do. They'll let you do the grunt work and give you part authorship.

The likelihood of a med student seeing a case interesting enough to be written up is somewhat small.
Yeah, that's closer to what I was told actually. They also said that finding radiologist and seeing if they have any cool images from cases could be a way to go because doctors are like kids and like cases with pretty pictures. (of course that was at a radiology interest group meeting)

Last edited:
A case report isn't too much work. Attendings might be another source for case reports.

You can do a research elective during 4th year. It's still possible to do harder research, you just have to sacrifice a lot of outside stuff for it. Just don't complain about it on SDN... you'll get roasted.

Sounds like I'm ok. Think I will just do this simple research project over the summer and call it good, and if any of those "case studies" pop up in MS3/4 I can do that if I need to.

Other than that...gonna enjoy the vast majority of summer.