Are there PhD opportunities as part of Neuro residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbchgad2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a medical student in the UK addicted to neurology and preparing my USMLE's for a US residency programme, but also interested in research. I was wondering whether there could be any PhD opportunities as part of neuro residency programmes and how difficult is it to get into them for international graduates, provided that one hopefully has a CV appropriate for this purpose!

Any information no matter how brief is always appreciated. Many thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you don't need a PhD to do research.

If you really want one, I'd suggest doing it before residency, rather than trying to piece something together during it. After residency doesn't make much sense, because why take away all your earning potential after residency by disappearing into a PhD program? Unless you have some specific wet-lab research goal in mind (and even then...) just get the MD and do a research fellowship after it in the area of your interest. That would set you up for most things. Alternatively, go to a residency program supported by the R25 initiative, which supports you for a research year during residency and up to 2 mentored years after it.

I have known people who do a PhD starting during their fellowship or along with a K08 or K23 award. A PhD is a license to do research. If you have a successful post-doc with publications, the license is implied. The degree is a matter of personal pride and social recognition among other than your peers, but it has little impact. Perhaps, it might become an advantage if you were interviewing for the MD PhD program director's job, but not for chair of Neurology. In a study section, it will NOT give extra edge for your 2nd R-01.

Thanks for your comments - very helpful indeed. Im planning for an academic job and thought a PhD would be fantastic tool in training me for research, mostly basic science research. I have a good opportunity at hand in medical school at the moment (MD/PhD programme), but I was confused whether I should wait and do it during my residency in US. Research is fun, but requires lots of training and practice to get the grips of it..

The comments are helpful - thanks once again !!