Are there PT programs with more classes in the business side of PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmgee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I am new to this, so I hope this question is clear and makes sense to everyone.

I am applying this summer to physical therapy schools and definitely been thinking about what I want. AFter visiting one, they noted they have a small number of classes that focus on the business side of things, mainly for people who one day want to open their own practice. That hadn't even dawned on me but now I'm really interested in programs with those classes.

Do most PT programs have the same set of uniform business classes? Can anyone recommend some programs that actually have a well-established set of classes that focus on the BUSINESS side of PT? Business, administration, all of that...I am definitely interested in beginning my own practice one day...or at least being trained to do so if I want to in the future. I was a health and exercise science major so didn't get any business training (except psychology....super important in business, right? ;) ) I hope this questions isn't answered 100x over! Thank you so much for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be surprised if a DPT program could include a decent set of business classes along with the PT ones. There's simply too much to cover. If you want to open your own practice some day, I suggest you learn about 1) accounting, 2) taxation, 3) corporate finance and 4) organizational behavior before you take the plunge. You don't have to be an expert, but you must be able to ask intelligent questions, and understand what your CPA or financial advisor is telling you. If you rely on them blindly, you could be taken for a ride, or not be able to spot a mistake they could be making because they don't know the intricacies of a PT business.

I have been doing business consulting for about 10 years (I have a MBA), and see these pitfalls all the time.

At Rockhurst University in Kansas City you can get your MBA or MA in Management over the course of the 3 years of PT school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be surprised if a DPT program could include a decent set of business classes along with the PT ones. There's simply too much to cover. If you want to open your own practice some day, I suggest you learn about 1) accounting, 2) taxation, 3) corporate finance and 4) organizational behavior before you take the plunge. You don't have to be an expert, but you must be able to ask intelligent questions, and understand what your CPA or financial advisor is telling you. If you rely on them blindly, you could be taken for a ride, or not be able to spot a mistake they could be making because they don't know the intricacies of a PT business.

I have been doing business consulting for about 10 years (I have a MBA), and see these pitfalls all the time.
Ah okay, I see! I think I saw a post somewhere referring to business side of PT and it sparked something in me to ask about it. I can just learn about it on my own when I want to really dive in.

You do not need a MBA to own your own practice. Finance and accounting is very easy for small businesses. The biggest issue is creating consistent business processes and managing employees. Bring in business will be your biggest focus. If you want to be real successful you will not be doing any PT....

You do not need a MBA to own your own practice. Finance and accounting is very easy for small businesses. The biggest issue is creating consistent business processes and managing employees. Bring in business will be your biggest focus. If you want to be real successful you will not be doing any PT....

Thanks! I knew you didn't need a degree, and I'm sure running a business is more than a full time job in itself.