Are there still lifestyle specialties besides derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry for the 6+ month bump but just wanted to say that I think you can make money in almost any field, except Peds and some IM sub specialties like palliative care, nephrology and geriatrics. I'm only a medical student still but here's what I've seen from attendings I've rotated with who all make a lot:

Psychiatry -> outpatient psych while taking some inpatient duties
Anesthesia -> pain fellowship
Radiology -> volume volume volume efficiency efficiency efficiency
Rad Onc -> don't need to explain
Plastic surgery -> cosmetics; just don't do inpatient burn unit
EM -> 36 hours/week = 300k+
PM&R -> plenty of money and relaxation (mix of inpatient + outpatient = 250k+ working <50hr/week)
ObGyn -> REI clinic =$$$
General Surgery -> MIS fellowship = $$$
Orthopedic Surgery, Neurosurgery -> $$$ but work hard
Ophtho -> initially suck up to partners in pp so you can become partner, then $$$
ENT -> outpatient pp group = $$$
Pathology -> 300k+ working <50 hrs/wk as long as you don't work in cities > 200k population
IM -> Cardiology = cath all day if invasive, outpatient pp if noninvasive; both 300k+
IM -> GI = colonoscopy all day; guaranteed 300k+
IM -> Heme/Onc -> pp = guaranteed 300k+
IM -> pulm/cc = guaranteed 300k+ but you work >60hrs/week
IM -> endocrine/rheum = 250k with closer to 40hrs/wk
Family med -> open own practice

I think I got majority of specialties. Please correct me if I'm dead wrong about any of the above. Just my observations..
Is call still crazy for the gen surg + MIS? Always been super lost on what that fellowship and CCM add to a typical gen surg schedule. I appreciate the list!

Members don't see this ad.

Is call still crazy for the gen surg + MIS? Always been super lost on what that fellowship and CCM add to a typical gen surg schedule. I appreciate the list!

That depends on your practice environment and the specifics of the job.

Some hospitals require call for all general surgeons, regardless of fellowship and others offer it as "courtesy" and you can choose to be/not to be on the schedule. Of course you are expected to be on call for your own patients. If you have residents, your call may be mitigated by that depending the level of the in house resident.

Lastly, the MIS training and its relation to call will depend on what sorts of cases you're doing, whether you have in house patients, their co morbidities and their propensity to have problems.

Reactions: 1 user