Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Are these considered low or mid tiered schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Ectsnow, 05.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Ectsnow

Ectsnow

Looking to add a broader range of schools to my list...would you say these schools are considered the "low tier" schools? If not, what would you guys recommend I add?

Penn state
    SUNY buffalo
    Rush
    Rosalind
    Jefferson
    GWY

Thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. darkjedi

darkjedi how did this get here I am not good with computer 7+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    um no

forget 'tiers' they are utterly meaningless in determining your school list. Look at median MCAT and GPA, you stats should be relatively closely aligned.

even schools with median stats significantly lower than yours can ignore you since they assume you just applied to them as a safety

4. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Lets just say they're more willing to accept < avg candidates (MCAT <33, GPAs < 3.6); their spreads for the 10-90th 5iles are wider than, say, Pitt or Harvard.

So how about we call them Wide-Spread, Medium-Spread, and Narrow-Spread?

Penn state
    SUNY buffalo
    Rush
    Rosalind
    Jefferson
    GWY

5. shiftingmirage

shiftingmirage 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    GWU gets so many apps, I would not bother applying unless you are truly interested in the program.

6. lmn

lmn 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wouldn't focus on tiers for your individual purposes, look at what schools accept your gpa/mcat range from your state and their mission fit, it isn't like any of these programs are bad or low quality.

7. Optimus-Prime

Optimus-Prime 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Look at MSAR and search MCAT scores starting from the lowest, make sure to double check OOS generosity. Off the top of my head NYMC and EVMS are along those lines

About the ads