1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Are these courses enough to take the MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by mdiop, Jan 5, 2009.

1. mdiop

Pre-Medical
    Thanks again for reading my post!
    I am a sophomore and am contemplating taking the exam end august so that Junior year I won't worry about it too much. If I were to take it at the end of the summer these are the courses I would have under my belt:
    -General Bio 1+2 (2 is about ecology/evolution at my university)
    -Gen Chem1+2
    -Organic 1+2
    -Genetics
    -For physics, I took a chalenging science program that covers physics 1+2 (all my friends got college credit for it at their institutions, my university is the only 1 that doesn't give it for unknown reasons)

If I were to take it I would start now with about 10-15hours/week during the spring and then 5hours/day during the summer until late august. I have good study methodologies so all is left is the coursework completed which is why I am asking you if the courses should be sufficient (trust me on the physics)
    Thanks again for the replies!

2. Tekbright510

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Generally speaking, those courses you have listed are "enough" to take the MCAT. Even on their website, AAMC says the MCAT is designed to test basic science and critical thinking skills.

From personal experience, however, I took the MCAT after having taken some higher level science classes like microbiology, physiology and biochemistry during my junior year. This really helped me. I found that I was familiar with much of what I was reviewing for the MCAT.

The MCAT BS section contains quite a bit of physiology, biochem and microbio, though not in the detail you would see in your classes. If you have not taken these classes, you will have to learn some of these concepts on your own while preparing for the MCAT. Personally, I'm glad I took the higher science classes.