Are these EC's good enough for top 10?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arabet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it might be worthwhile getting a little bit of pure physician shadowing experience (preferably where the doctor is actually talking to the patient - being in the OR is great and all, but you don't really get much exposure if you're not scrubbed in). Otherwise looks good. They line up with top 10 level ECs, but they obviously won't guarantee you an interview or acceptance. However, you're in good shape for applying this June.

Maybe some hospice volunteering might help you a little?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'll be applying next cycle and thus have completed most of my EC's that I'll be applying with. I'm fortunate enough to have a 3.8 GPA and 519 so I'm in a lucky position to really aim for some fun schools like Columbia (an absolute dream come true for me).

I've lurked here and on reddit for a bit and so the neuroticism is getting to me. I know the very top schools definitely require something standout in your app in addition to your scores which is something I feel like I lack (though I do think I can reflect on my experiences fairly well). I still have 4-5 months to go till next cycle so I'm curious if I can address some deficiencies in that time.

Please rip me apart haha I'm just worried about being too cookie cutter

Research:
~2000 hours research spread through 4 different labs. If I included high school I'd have +300 since I worked in the same lab in college.
- 1 bachelor's essay
- 1 undergraduate poster conference (was a finalist but didn't win)
- 3rd (maybe it was 2nd, I don't remember) author on 2 presentations and an abstract submitted by my PI

Hopefully we get a paper published but I don't know how likely that will be before my application. Nature of our research makes it forever to get published :(

Clinical:
~1000 hours ED scribe. I actually am very interested in Emergency Medicine because of the patient population so I can definitely use this as an interesting talking point!
~50 hours as a volunteer scribe for a PCP at a free medical clinic
~30 hours shadowing nurses, patient care techs, and got to see 1 surgery.

Volunteering:
~250 hours patient advocate at a free medical clinic
~30 hours patient transport

Leadership:
Student Government Association for 1.5 years
Volunteer Coordinator that helped connect people to a GED tutoring program 1.5 years

Miscellaneous:
- Studied abroad for 1 semester
- Tech start up business accelerator 1 semester
- Science camp counselor before my first year of college (volunteer) for 4 weeks
- Social fraternity for 3 years (do I even mention this? I did volunteer an additional ~50 hours through the organization mainly on philanthropy event planning, bone marrow donor registration which we do regularly, and other miscellaneous stuff)
- I'll probably list bouldering as a hobby.

------------

I am hoping to join the Red Cross (hopefully with disaster relief missions!) and volunteer at a local garden that helps low-income children over the next semester. Both things that I'm interested in just because they're cool so that should boost my nonclinical volunteering a little since I know I lack there a little. Other than that I don't have anything particularly big planned on accomplishing.

I know I don't have much normal shadowing but I do believe I have a decent amount of exposure through scribing in the ER and at the free clinic. I'm not that interested in surgery at the moment (but I'm of course willing to keep my options open in school later down the road) and was leaning towards IM or EM anyway which I have seen a lot of both.
Get in some service to others less fortunate than yourself, and you'll be fine.

I think it might be worthwhile getting a little bit of pure physician shadowing experience (preferably where the doctor is actually talking to the patient - being in the OR is great and all, but you don't really get much exposure if you're not scrubbed in). Otherwise looks good. They line up with top 10 level ECs, but they obviously won't guarantee you an interview or acceptance. However, you're in good shape for applying this June.

I'm actually working as an ED scribe as well currently with ~500 hours so far and it's the best place for seeing provider-patient interactions. More physician shadowing probably wouldn't hurt however.