Are these good reasons to stay in the military?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarBank

Reaction score
I am the type of person who is more concerned with the quality of life than the amount of money. I keep hearing that I should strive for the best, but all I want to do after work is enjoy my life. I'm aware that a civilian dentist earns far more than a military dentist earns. However, at the same time, they must see a greater number of patients in a shorter amount of time. On top of it, success in civilian dentistry requires excellent hand skills and interpersonal skills. To be honest, this is too much for me. I just want to cruise along until my retirement.

Are these good reasons to stay in the military?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I could go on for days on this subject.
The military certainly has its pros. As you stated, you definitely aren't expected to reach your full potential as far as being a quick and efficient provider. Due to a long history of bureaucratic inefficiencies, things just don't move fast. You can literally travel and live all over the world. 30 paid days off, health insurance, serving your country, etc.

But if you think working for the military is just going to be a cake walk and you can cruise through life without a care in the world..... I think you will be sorely disappointed. If working 50 hours a week, 5 days a week is your idea of a good quality of life, you and I have differing ways a looking at things. "Coasting" as a provider as you explained is generally frowned upon by your peers/leaders and will cause issue later in your career as ranking up becomes a priority. I think you will find that the attitude you have expressed above will make your military career much less enjoyable than you think.

Sorry, sort of a ramble but lots more info in my head on the subject if you want to discuss it more.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you guys are misunderstanding something. I'm not saying that I'm going to be a lazy ass like the guys at DMV. What I am saying is that I don't want to work like a civilian dentist who always has to produce the best results in a much shorter time. It is very important to have good clinical skills (fast, efficient, and quality work) when you work for someone else in the civilian world. I am the type of person who actually enjoys the slow pace and low-pressure clinical environment. I can get you a crown of good quality, but can I do it right away? I am not sure. Also, if you become a practice owner, you have to have good people skill to attract patients. I mean I can communicate with the patients to a certain extent, but I don't know if I can bring them back to my clinic again.

I think you guys are misunderstanding something. I'm not saying that I'm going to be a lazy ass like the guys at DMV. What I am saying is that I don't want to work like a civilian dentist who always has to produce the best results in a much shorter time. It is very important to have good clinical skills (fast, efficient, and quality work) when you work for someone else in the civilian world. I am the type of person who actually enjoys the slow pace and low-pressure clinical environment. I can get you a crown of good quality, but can I do it right away? I am not sure. Also, if you become a practice owner, you have to have good people skill to attract patients. I mean I can communicate with the patients to a certain extent, but I don't know if I can bring them back to my clinic again.
I understood and truly think the best answer for you is the VA.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you tell me why? How is VA different from military?
You stay in one place for your career (if you want to) and you always work the same hours (usually 8-5 ish). The pace is consistent/whatever you prefer. The pay and benefits will allow you to live a good life. I would definitely look into it, and they prefer to hire veterans.

Just because you don't HAVE to be the best dentist you can be, doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Just because you are protected from personal lawsuits, it doesn't give you a free pass to willfully suck at dentistry. Every patient you touch deserves your best effort.

The attitude you portray is concerning on a lot of levels.

Reactions: 4 users
Where to begin?

This is so subjective. It really depends on your unit, your OIC and where you are stationed. I will say though, after serving for 4 years it was worth it for tuition coverage and life experience.

Wanting the work/life balance is fine, but you may not get that in the military. Again it all really depends on where you are. If you don’t do a residency after school you will be behind your peers skills wise. If you’re in a clinic where you have good mentorship, you may be able to get to do more. There’s so much red tape and BS you have to go through that it really makes you question whether or not military dentistry is for you. There are a whole lot of egos you have to deal with. The worst part is, you can’t escape it so you have to tread softly to make your experience decent. There’s a whole lot of sucking up you have to do if you ever want to advance, career wise.
As you advance you’re encouraged to specialize—-excellent logic. However as you advance in rank and specialize you’ll be delegated to do more administrative tasks and less dentistry. Make sense? Not in the slightest. Why they would invest so much in your education only to have you push paper a majority of the time is something that will never make sense to me.
Keep in mind that you are a soldier first and a provider second. If youre ok with , for instance, having drive to another side of post just for height and weight (or do something training related for instance) thereby eliminating half a day of clinic—then more power to you. It wasn’t okay for me. A lot of wasted time.
It’s interesting—after being out and interviewing for associateships, having military experience matters helps quite a bit. You’re viewed as someone who is ethical, organized, and regimented. With that said, there is also the conception that you do nothing but drill and fill. Take that for what it’s worth.

Overall, I am so grateful for my experience. I was out of my comfort zone and got to do things that I never would have (like shooting guns). Clinically I felt deficient. Military dentistry does not necessarily translate to real life dentistry. Once you get sucked into the system, being complacent with your dentistry skills kicks in. My desire to stay in partly was due to my clinical handicap—would I be able to hack it in the real world? Do I give up a relatively easy job (clinically speaking) or do I venture out into the real world and push myself without having to deal with higher ups dictating what I could/could not do based off of my job title?
Getting out was the best decision for ME. It may not be for you. You have to take a real hard look at yourself and your abilities and decide. Moonlighting while in the military will give you the best basis of comparison. Good luck

Last edited:
Where to begin?

This is so subjective. It really depends on your unit, your OIC and where you are stationed. I will say though, after serving for 4 years it was worth it for tuition coverage and life experience.

Wanting the work/life balance is fine, but you may not get that in the military. Again it all really depends on where you are. If you don’t do a residency after school you will be behind your peers skills wise. If you’re in a clinic where you have good mentorship, you may be able to get to do more. There’s so much red tape and BS you have to go through that it really makes you question whether or not military dentistry is for you. There are a whole lot of egos you have to deal with. The worst part is, you can’t escape it so you have to tread softly to make your experience decent. There’s a whole lot of sucking up you have to do if you ever want to advance, career wise.
As you advance you’re encouraged to specialize—-excellent logic. However as you advance in rank and specialize you’ll be delegated to do more administrative tasks and less dentistry. Make sense? Not in the slightest. Why they would invest so much in your education only to have you push paper a majority of the time is something that will never make sense to me.
Keep in mind that you are a soldier first and a provider second. If youre ok with , for instance, having drive to another side of post just for height and weight (or do something training related for instance) thereby eliminating half a day of clinic—then more power to you. It wasn’t okay for me. A lot of wasted time.
It’s interesting—after being out and interviewing for associateships, having military experience matters helps quite a bit. You’re viewed as someone who is ethical, organized, and regimented. With that said, there is also the conception that you do nothing but drill and fill. Take that for what it’s worth.

Overall, I am so grateful for my experience. I was out of my comfort zone and got to do things that I never would have (like shooting guns). Clinically I felt deficient. Military dentistry does not necessarily translate to real life dentistry. Once you get sucked into the system, being complacent with your dentistry skills kicks in. My desire to stay in partly was due to my clinical handicap—would I be able to hack it in the real world? Do I give up a relatively easy job (clinically speaking) or do I venture out into the real world and push myself without having to deal with higher ups dictating what I could/could not do based off of my job title?
Getting out was the best decision for ME. It may not be for you. You have to take a real hard look at yourself and your abilities and decide. Moonlighting while in the military will give you the best basis of comparison. Good luck
C49B8FFE-B528-4023-9637-419276CB90E2.gif

Big Hoss

Where to begin?

Very well put.

I also knew that the military wasn't for me long term.

To combat the inexperience, like many others on here, I am now using the GI bill to specialize. I could go on and on about how amazing the GI Bill is. It's really a no-brainer to ease the transition into civilian dentistry.

OP, have you considered specializing using the GI Bill?

• Love
The environment is just so difficult to work in if you actually like to do dentistry.

20 years in the military is perfect if you are OK with doing the least amount of work as possible. I feel like that’s always the goal in the military. However, if you have any interest at all to actually do dentistry, you’re going to have a difficult time to get the people you work with on board with you. Unless of course it makes their job easier.

I’ve heard people say that the military breeds a culture of laziness. Through my time in, I have to say I think that’s true. If you like taking it easy, the military might actually be for you. Which isn’t a bad thing. But if you want to push yourself to learn more and get better in dentistry, you’ll have to go through so much bureaucracy and so much other BS, that you’re just going to be miserable. In my opinion, the attitude of the people around you to do as little as humanly possible in the workplace can just suck the very life out of you. Eventually, in the military, you’ll see the attitude is not about doing dentistry, but about trying to do the least amount of it as possible. And if that’s not in your nature, you’re going to have a rough time.

Just wanted to get this off my chest. Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide if the military is right for you. The only one who can really determine that is you. They say there’s “pros and cons” but eventually the right decision just becomes so obvious. Sorry for the rant. I guess I’m just slowly counting down the days until I finally can get out and get my DD214…

Last edited:
I’ve seen military dentistry and civilian dentistry. I do the procedures that I want to do without anyone telling me about credentialing. As a civilian I do what I feel comfortable with. Molar endo? Surgical 3rd molar extractions (TO A DEGREE, I know my limits). Perio surgery? Sure. Not as a military general dentist though.

Sure you can coast until you retire, but you will be in your early 40s. Will you be able to compete with doctors your age? Or even 10 years younger? I’m sure you will be amazing at amalgam restorations, but that’s not the real world. I will say that military amalgam restorations are incredibly high quality though. Mine are over 15 years old and still holding up strong (knock on wood).

It’s funny. I always keep hearing the military bag on private practice as being unethical because they’re “only” motivated by money. The desire to do as little as possible in the military to me borders on being unethical sometimes. “Your tooth bothers you at night? You should have came in earlier so now we’ll follow up with you in 2 weeks with the next sick call doc.” “You have several huge cavities that need fillings? Ah, we’ll just do the #18-O for now and have you rescheduled in 2 months.” “You would like a nightguard because your teeth are wearing down? We don’t have the manning for that.” “You should probably get a gold crown or zirconia on a terminal molar? Nah, we’ll just scan and place an eMax there.”

I guess the last example might be debatable. But I feel like that’s my point. If there’s any wiggle room to do less, even if it might possibly be better to do a little more, there’s always the inclination to do the lesser amount.

The environment is just so difficult to work in if you actually like to do dentistry.

20 years in the military is perfect if you are OK with doing the least amount of work as possible. I feel like that’s always the goal in the military. However, if you have any interest at all to actually do dentistry, you’re going to have a difficult time to get the people you work with on board with you. Unless of course it makes their job easier.

I’ve heard people say that the military breeds a culture of laziness. Through my time in, I have to say I think that’s true. If you like taking it easy, the military might actually be for you. Which isn’t a bad thing. But if you want to push yourself to learn more and get better in dentistry, you’ll have to go through so much bureaucracy and so much other BS, that you’re just going to be miserable. In my opinion, the attitude of the people around you to do as little as humanly possible in the workplace can just suck the very life out of you. Eventually, in the military, you’ll see the attitude is not about doing dentistry, but about trying to do the least amount of it as possible. And if that’s not in your nature, you’re going to have a rough time.

Just wanted to get this off my chest. Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide if the military is right for you. The only one who can really determine that is you. They say there’s “pros and cons” but eventually the right decision just becomes so obvious. Sorry for the rant. I guess I’m just slowly counting down the days until I finally can get out and get my DD214…
Are you thinking about specializing in the civilian world?