Are these grades good enough

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hassan148

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 3.6 and I will be a Senior next year, When I apply to Yale I wil have a overall GPA of 3.6, a science GPA 3.5, and a mcat score of 31 what are my chance of going to Yale or any of the other top schools. If these grades or not good enough do you think I should go to grad school.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can get into med school, but it might be hard to get into a top 10 school, unless you have awesome EC's or something outstanding in your life. If you just want to be a doctor though, getting into a medical school should be your top priority, not whether it's top 10 according to some stupid news magazine.

Getting into medical school is a crap shoot. With your stats, my guess is that medical schools will look at your application. Some will probably interview you and some might even accept you. :D Good luck applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT score is pretty near average for accepted students (to ALL medical schools). I don't think you should be aiming for the top. I mean, include a couple top schools of your choice, but apply to WIDE range, including Finch, Albany, NYMC and the like.

Well I can try to take the MCAT again, do you think I should just do grad school at try to get a 4 at grad school, so I can get in. Are there any of you that have got in with any of these grades.

plenty of people have gotten in with your stats. I second the recommendation to apply to a wide variety of schools. in the end, it will be your extracurriculars that will determine what schools you get in to.

I agree with the above posters. You can get into med school with your stats--It'll all depend on luck, your ECs, your PS, and the interview. Getting into Yale or other "top school" with your stats will be much tougher though. Go ahead and apply, but apply to other programs too. There are a lot of great schools out there that are not in the top ten, or even top twenty according to USNews. Don't limit yourself so much.

Does School matter I current go to UT-Austin, will a person at harvard have a better chance with my stats

•••quote:•••Originally posted by hassan148:
•Does School matter I current go to UT-Austin, will a person at harvard have a better chance with my stats•••••Welcome to SDN, hassan!! :) Med school admissions are such a crap shoot, it's best not to get your heart set on any one place -- just getting in anyplace is hard enough. With your stats, you have a good shot at getting in somewhere. Just apply to a wide variety of schools, and make sure you have wonderful LOR's and essays. And read <a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=010171" target="_blank">Jalbrekt's thread</a> with all the latest advice from current year applicants. To answer your question, yes, the undergrad school matters some, but since there's nothing you can do about it now, just concentrate on making your application the best it possibly can be. Good luck!! :)

It never hurts to apply - you never know. The good thing is this (and it's the same for every school) sure they have standards for getting in, but in the end, you are competing for spots. If there is something about you that sets you apart from other applicants, then go for it. Your grades and MCAT are good enough to make you competitive at most schools. The only way you'll know if you're competitive at the top schools is to go ahead and apply. Good luck!!

Hassan..why are you so set on Harvard? With that in mind the next question is...are you trying to get into medicine to help people, or for some prestige? I would encourage you to do some soul searching and then if the answer is that you want to help people, do as others on the board have advised. Apply to several schools, including some that you may have a more realistic chance of getting into. Your stats are fine in order for you to get looked at by 85% of the schools out there-don't limit yourself to top ten schools. The process is just too random.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by relatively prime:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by The Falconer:
•Hassan..why are you so set on Harvard? •••••Psssst... it's Yale she/he is set on :) •••••:wink:

I agree with the previous posters... apply to lots of schools. Your scores and GPA are fine-- you'll get looked at by most schools, and probably get interviews at lots of them. I don't know about getting in at "top 10" schools b/c I'm not applying to them :D . But the lovely thing about playing the ADCOM game is that there are lots of qualified people that for whatever reason don't get in. Even if Harvard is your dream school, apply to LOTS of schools. In the end, an MD is an MD is an MD. Your patients will be more impressed by how you treat them then where you went to school. Good luck and welcome to SDN!!