Are these jobs legit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msbbc833

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a PGY1 I have a ways to go, but I was just browsing some jobs and they seem too good to be true. Particularly the high starting salaries. Lots of people talk about the bad job market. There has to be a catch with these positions right?

http://www.gaswork.com/post/165629

http://www.gaswork.com/post/168060

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Austin historically has a very tight physician market. Two of my well trained pain colleagues interviewed all over Austin and were offered 200k to start...if this legit job really paid 500k they would not have to post it on gaswork.

For the Odessa, TX job:
Base salary plus productivity bonus
1st and 2nd call pay
At the same time, they don't tell you the call frequency. That's not "too good to be true"; that's simply not good at all. Sure, you could make 380 while being on call q3-4. Not only that, but please notice that it's a cardiac anesthesia job, even if it doesn't require fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
For the Odessa, TX job:

At the same time, they don't tell you the call frequency. That's not "too good to be true"; that's simply not good at all. Sure, you could make 380 while being on call q3-4. Not only that, but please notice that it's a cardiac anesthesia job, even if it doesn't require fellowship.
Adding to that, it says "unknown" regarding day off after call while having 2k+ deliveries a year....
And 4+1 weeks vaca?

The Odessa job is probably better than the worst case scenario we are envisioning. I have met people who work out in west-texas and great jobs still exist out there.

No way the Austin job is legitimate. Cross post the ad in the pain forum and see what they say.

For the Odessa, TX job:

It was easy for me to overlook the on call numbers and get blinded by the initial salary numbers.

I bet you the Odessa job isn't that bad. You are not going to fill a job in Odessa Texas paying 380K for Q3/4 call. Dollar per hour, thats not much more than what the groups in Dallas/Houston/Austin are offering.

Somnia in El Paso (a much better city) is offering close to 500K for Q4-5 and they are still looking for people.

The austin group posting lists a "chief crna" position. Doesn't necessarily mean they are doing procedures but I would have a hard time trusting this group if they were.

Last edited:
Cardiac again. Q2 call. No day off.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow 2 on 1 off for 17 week vacation. sounds good
How about 35 weeks Q2 call, no day off post-call, working at least 24 hours every weekend? :smack:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user