Are these PsyD schools good? MS in I/O or MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin Psych

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and I joined because I found a lot of very useful information when I was just surfing the web. I am writing to see if anyone has any information about the quality of the following PsyD schools.

The Chicago School of Professional Psychology
The University of Indianapolis
Widener University

From what I have gathered on the site, as well as from other experiences, there are GOOD PsyD programs offered through Professional schools. However, it also seems that the slight stigma that goes with the professional schools, though sometimes unwarranted, still slightly exists even with a good PsyD professional school program. I have heard good things of the Chicago School of Professional Psychology with regards to training; however, the price tag that comes with it is a bit disheartening. Is Chicago a GOOD professional school with regards to training? (I know its terribly expensive)

I have heard that Widener University, though a smaller school it seems, has a pretty good program. Does anyone have any input on this school ? Also, would it be more reputable for myself to hypothetically get my PsyD from a smaller private/public college or university than a professional psychology school?

This leads me to my second issue at hand:
I am also very interesting in Industrial/Organizational psychology as well and am potentially interested in incorporating consulting work into my career (in addition to practice). Would a Master's in I/O be better for being hired or recruited for consulting jobs be more mareketable? Or would getting an MBA (in addition to my PsyD) be more to my benefit? Again, any information that anyone has would be most appreciated. Thanks!

- Kevin

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, all of the programs you mentioned are decent PsyD programs. I beleive Indianapolis probably has the best rep. If you want to live in Indiana, then I would also checkout ISU and IUP, they are very well regarded and funded. Widener has good combined degree options and is also a decent program. As a general rule, the great thing about psych doctoral programs are that the cheapest ones usually have better reps. As far as consulting, it can be sone and you don't need an MBA, though that is mostly in the scope of I/O. It depends in what capacity you are consulting. The PsyD/MBA combo is most helpful in securing positions in healthcare management. You can also pursue a doctorate in I/O. In the end, it all depends on what you want to do.

Sanman said:
In my opinion, all of the programs you mentioned are decent PsyD programs. I beleive Indianapolis probably has the best rep. If you want to live in Indiana, then I would also checkout ISU and IUP, they are very well regarded and funded. Widener has good combined degree options and is also a decent program. As a general rule, the great thing about psych doctoral programs are that the cheapest ones usually have better reps. As far as consulting, it can be sone and you don't need an MBA, though that is mostly in the scope of I/O. It depends in what capacity you are consulting. The PsyD/MBA combo is most helpful in securing positions in healthcare management. You can also pursue a doctorate in I/O. In the end, it all depends on what you want to do.

Sanman,
Thanks so much for the quick reply. With regards to the consulting, I have heard that it is rather common for PsyD Clinical Psychologists to do business consulting without an MBA or a M.S. in I/O. I guess I am just wondering if either of these degrees would a) get me more consulting jobs/options and b) if the financial return will be higher with a masters degree in either. The kind of consulting I am interested in is employee selection and assessment, executive strategery, organizational behavior, to name a few. I do not have any ambition of being an administrator at a hospital, so would an MS in I/O perhaps be more appropriate? Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that an MBA well serve you better and be a better bang for the buck than a masters in I/O. You could do all of the same consulting with the MBA that you could do with the masters in I/O but you may be limited with the masters in I/O. Also if you have the opportunity, as far as MBAs go the school you get the MBA from is very important. If you have the opportunity you should try to get into one of the top 10 schools, it makes a huge difference in the type of job offers you will receive. Some of the top programs for MBAs are: University of Chicago, Harvard, Stanford, Duke, Dartmoth, Northwestern, Wharton, etc. These programs are very competitive, but often if you have earned your PsyD or even have an acceptance it will help when you apply to MBAs to make you more competitive. Like you mentioned many times you can work in the type of consulting that you want to with only the PsyD. The MBA will just make you that much more desirable to future employers.

EL CAPeeeTAN said:
I think that an MBA well serve you better and be a better bang for the buck than a masters in I/O. You could do all of the same consulting with the MBA that you could do with the masters in I/O but you may be limited with the masters in I/O. Also if you have the opportunity, as far as MBAs go the school you get the MBA from is very important. If you have the opportunity you should try to get into one of the top 10 schools, it makes a huge difference in the type of job offers you will receive. Some of the top programs for MBAs are: University of Chicago, Harvard, Stanford, Duke, Dartmoth, Northwestern, Wharton, etc. These programs are very competitive, but often if you have earned your PsyD or even have an acceptance it will help when you apply to MBAs to make you more competitive. Like you mentioned many times you can work in the type of consulting that you want to with only the PsyD. The MBA will just make you that much more desirable to future employers.

EL CAPeeeTAN,

Thanks so much for your feedback. You had mentioned that where you get your MBA from is important. Here is what I am potentially thinking. I ideally want to get the PsyD and practice; however, consulting would just be another added bonus, professionally and especially financially. Widener University, which I have heard is a pretty decent PsyD training school, offers a joint PsyD/MBA program. This is especially appealing because it does not mean that I have to go to school for 2 extra years for the MBA, as I am still able to complete the coursework for both programs in 4 years, excluding APA internship. Total = 5 years for the PsyD/MBA. Any thoughts on this joint program or the program in general?

I realize that a Harvard MBA would be ideal; however, if I can get both degrees completed at the same at the same place, I would definitely save myself 2 added years of study (post PsyD) and a lot of money. Would my joint degree still have a decent amount of firepower behind it since its from a smaller private university?

Kevin Psych said:
EL CAPeeeTAN,

I realize that a Harvard MBA would be ideal; however, if I can get both degrees completed at the same at the same place, I would definitely save myself 2 added years of study (post PsyD) and a lot of money. Would my joint degree still have a decent amount of firepower behind it since its from a smaller private university?

Ok the extra info helps. Yes, you would be fine to pursue your MBA with one of these smaller private universities that has joint programs with PsyDs. I have looked at Widener's joint program before and it would be perfect for what you want to do. If you want to practice 1st and foremost and then be able to consult on the side for extra money, then the time / money savings by going to a joint program makes a lot of sense and makes you marketable. I have a friend who has a PsyD and then decided to get an MBA becasue he wanted to pursue executive level consulting as his main career. He did his MBA at University of Chicago and he now works for Mckinsey as a partner / consultant. He still does see some private patients with some of his limited time. In this case the MBA school is more important, I agree with you though for what you want to do, he joint programs is the way to go.