Medical Are these red flags and how should I address them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I submitted my secondaries in mid Aug/early September, but have not received any IIs. I am also a reapplicant. As I was looking over my applications and reflecting on my activities, I got worried that I may have some red flags, which I've listed below. I was wondering if these are actually red flags and how I should best address them moving forwards?

- 3rd MCAT retake (499 on 6/19, 506 on 8/19, 510 on 6/20)

- downward GPA trend: (cGPA: 3.7, 3.8, 3.59, 3.6) (sGPA: 3.47, 3.8, 3.5, 3.46)

- no second science LOR (had a strong first science LOR from neuroscience professor who knew me well, strong LOR from english professor, strong LOR from current doctor I scribe for)

- no LOR from PI but instead from postdoc supervisor (following 3 years of research and honors research thesis, unfortunately had a deteriorating relationship in last year of research and PI told me they would write me a "good LOR" but not a strong LOR)
- 3rd MCAT retake (499 on 6/19, 506 on 8/19, 510 on 6/20)

You might be asked how you managed to improve on the MCAT; conversely, you might be asked about why you did so poorly the first time.

- downward GPA trend: (cGPA: 3.7, 3.8, 3.59, 3.6) (sGPA: 3.47, 3.8, 3.5, 3.46)

The cGPA trend is somewhat downward. The sGPA hints that the 3.8 was more of a fluke and that the 3.4-3.5 is more your normal performance.

In any event, just tell the truth.

- no second science LOR (had a strong first science LOR from neuroscience professor who knew me well, strong LOR from english professor, strong LOR from current doctor I scribe for)

Some schools require two science LORs. For those that don't it's not a red flag. A clinical LOR will be useless for MD but fine for DO.

- no LOR from PI but instead from postdoc supervisor (following 3 years of research and honors research thesis, unfortunately had a deteriorating relationship in last year of research and PI told me they would write me a "good LOR" but not a strong LOR)

No one will really care if you're not aiming for MD/PhD. It's a common premed delusion that a PI LOR helps. Med schools aren't looking for grad students.

Members don't see this ad.

Although you took the MCAT three times, at least you improved. It would look way worse if you didn't improve or your score decreased.

With your GPA, it's a slight downward trend...not like you went from 3.7 to 3.4 to 3.0. I think as long as you are honest with your interviewers it shouldn't be a red flag.

No one will really care if you're not aiming for MD/PhD. It's a common premed delusion that a PI LOR helps. Med schools aren't looking for grad students.
FWIW, I do actually think it's at least a minor red flag for this particular OP that he doesn't have a PI LOR. Sure, if you did a summer of research, or even a year that led to nothing tangible, then a PI LOR may be worthless. In this case the OP clearly spent a long time in the lab and completed an honors research thesis, and this may be a major part of the OP's application. If the OP spends a significant amount of time in their application talking about their research in Dr. So-and-so's lab and how Dr. So-and-so mentored them, produced an honors thesis and maybe even a publication... then yeah, I expect a letter from Dr. So-and-so. It's absence would strike me as weird. Conversely, if your research DOESN'T play a prominent role in your application, then getting a letter from, frankly, a no-name postdoc is REALLY odd. In either case, the fact that you have a letter from this post-doc tells me that you clearly thought the research was a meaningful experience, but that your real supervisor either: 1) never got to know you over the course of 3 years; 2) couldn't be bothered to write you a letter; or 3) actively dislikes you. Even if a med school isn't looking for a grad student, none of those are good conclusions to draw. It sucks, because this deteriorating relationship may have not been your fault--but that's kind of where my thoughts go when I see a post-doc letter in the space of where I would expect a PI letter.

By itself, that probably wouldn't be a killer, more just something that seems weird. I honestly might not even think about it that hard if the stats were just a little better. But in conjunction with everything else like a 3rd MCAT attempt, and depending on which state the OP lives... it could be just enough minor red flags to cause a reviewer to stay away.

Caveat: I say this as someone who is primarily involved with research as a fellow, so to me not seeing a letter from a clearly defined mentor sticks out to me, and if that mentor can't write a letter then I would probably just avoid having an LOR from the experience at all and try to downplay its importance in my overall application. I am absolutely open to the idea that I'm overthinking this in a way that a regular med school reviewer might not delve into.

Status
Not open for further replies.