Are these scores competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UtopicDystopia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I just finished my PCAT this November and frankly, I am worried about my chances of getting into the pharmacy program. The school that I'm trying to gain admission for is UBC, and I'm just wondering where I stand in relation to getting an interview.

cGPA - 3.9
PCAT composite score: 70% (first attempt)
Math - 95%
Chemistry - 88%
Biology - 46%
Verbal - 38 %
Reading - 30%
Writing - 4.0

Now as you can see, reading/writing/bio are not my strongest subjects, but I have justifiable reasons for obtaining such subpar scores. During my enrollment period prior to this year's testing window, I had the great idea of taking on organic chemistry, 2 english, and 2 physics courses. During the week of my exams, I also had to try to study for the PCAT exam, and I couldn't cover the bio/verbal/writing as extensively as I wished to.

According to the school's website, the averages for the applicants that get into the program range from 80%-90%. After I sacrificed so much time and effort to perform well in the first year of school, I feel like I've messed up the application.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I just finished my PCAT this November and frankly, I am worried about my chances of getting into the pharmacy program. The school that I'm trying to gain admission for is UBC, and I'm just wondering where I stand in relation to getting an interview.

cGPA - 3.9
Math - 95%
Chemistry - 88%
Biology - 46%
Verbal - 38 %
Reading - 30%
Writing - 4.0

Now as you can see, reading/writing/bio are not my strongest subjects, but I have justifiable reasons for obtaining such subpar scores. During my enrollment period prior to this year's testing window, I had the great idea of taking on organic chemistry, 2 english, and 2 physics courses. During the week of my exams, I also had to try to study for the PCAT exam, and I couldn't cover the bio/verbal/writing as extensively as I wished to.

According to the school's website, the averages for the applicants that get into the program range from 80%-90%. After I sacrificed so much time and effort to perform well in the first year of school, I feel like I've messed up the application.

Unfortunately, schools tend to not care about your circumstances and make decisions based on their goal statistics. I think your chances all depend on what the school is looking for. How much of undergrad have you finished? If you have taken biology, microbiology, genetics, or other biology classes and gotten A's, then I think that should offset your Bio PCAT score IF that is the only factor they may consider a weakness. Also, depending on how many credits you've completed and their rigor, a 3.9 is very impressive. They probably have few applicants with such a high GPA and may make the difference in them accepting a PCAT score that isn't in their target range. Of course, this is only my personal opinion. But best of luck with getting accepted!

cGPA - 3.9
Math - 95%
Chemistry - 88%
Biology - 46%
Verbal - 38 %
Reading - 30%
Writing - 4.0

You may still attempt to apply. You should retake the PCAT though, as you screwed up on the most easily remediated sections.