are these statistics real?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalapp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a little surfing and this is what I found:

http://lifesci.rutgers.edu/~hpo/dstats.htm

Are these accurate? If so, is this true for everyone or just for Rutgers students?

Members don't see this ad.

They look pretty real. Maybe a little low because at U Penn they said my 19/19 was a low DAT score.

I think those numbers are actually a little low. I haven't seen any noticeable change in that page for 2-3 years.

Here are the numbers from my undergrad (along with other stuff): http://healthpro.byu.edu/predental.asp

Under the "dental school stats" section, you can see the average scores of those accepted from BYU: 3.50 overall, 3.28 science, and 21/21 on the DAT. Along with that, you can see the stats of those who were NOT accepted, our school's dental acceptance rate (94% -- 167 students accepted last year!), and a nifty science GPA vs. acceptance table, as well as other stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by GTchick
They look pretty real. Maybe a little low because at U Penn they said my 19/19 was a low DAT score.

GTChick, wow when I was at UPENN Corky and Dr. Emling illustrated that they don't really care for DAT scores. They just want to know if you could do decently enough to give them an idea that you can pass the boards. When I gave Corky my DAT scores (a copy, since I took them a few days before) she didn't even look at them and just put them in my file and told me not to worry. She told our group: "at UPENN we don't decide if you can be a good dentist just by looking at how well you can measure angles.We look for the whole person, not just test scores."

How did you interview go at UPENN? Just curious?

DesiDentist

Nice acceptance stats at BYU. You even have people with 2.5 gpas getting to med/dental schools. I wish I went there.

At my school, we have around 70 senior MD-wannabes with low gpas and there was this whole seminar on post-bacs and MS programs to strengthen their applications.

As of last year, we had about 12 out of 50 med school acceptances and 1 out of 1 dental school acceptance .

Desi -
It was my interviewer at U Penn that said my DAT was a little low. He didn't care though. I really don't know why he brought it up - he was just glancing through my app making sur ehe had all his questions answered. I think my interview went well. My interviewer said that I was a good match and he would do his best to see me accepted. I don't think it was my favorite school though. I liked Temple a lot better. I guess it all depends on where I get accepted. What did you think of U Penn?

GTChick,

I liked both programs. I went into Philly with Temple as my top choice since I spent a lot of time researching that school. However, UPENN impressed me as well. Hence, I would be happy to go to either school.

DesiDentist

PS: I notice you tried to PM me, sorry my inbox was full. I've deleted messages and you can PM me again.