Are Travel and Registration Costs for Derm Conferences Tax Deductible

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palintology

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone in my program told me he actually had to pay taxes this year (as opposed to the refunds he'd been used to). If we go to a derm conference that's not reimbursed by our program, are travel expenses (flights, hotels, taxis, food) and meeting registration costs tax deducible? If so, is there a limit to what's considered reasonable as a tax deduction (i.e. is there a ceiling for how much you can deduct per day for food?)

Members don't see this ad.

Someone in my program told me he actually had to pay taxes this year (as opposed to the refunds he'd been used to). If we go to a derm conference that's not reimbursed by our program, are travel expenses (flights, hotels, taxis, food) and meeting registration costs tax deducible? If so, is there a limit to what's considered reasonable as a tax deduction (i.e. is there a ceiling for how much you can deduct per day for food?)

i will be submitting my 2011 taxes with dermatology conference & interview session expenses / reimbursement in mind. could let you know what the verdict is in roughly 10 months time... :eek:

i will be submitting my 2011 taxes with dermatology conference & interview session expenses / reimbursement in mind. could let you know what the verdict is in roughly 10 months time... :eek:

Will do. Since I'm too lazy, disorganized, and disinterested to deal with any student loan stuff, I'm paying a financial adviser to deal with all this. He/she should know the answer. I'll post here once I find out more.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Answer is Yes. You can deduct Airfare, Meals, Lodging, Transportation and Parking for all your Seminars and Meetings, but you need to claim them on your schedule C 1040. Half of can be claimed under schedule A. Keep your receipts, get a flyer/program from the meeting and if possible get a certificate of completion for any courses/hours you might take.

This is one of the big areas where people LOSE a lot of money. Most physicians do not itemize their deductions, which will often greatly exceed you general individual deduction. Other fun expenses that can be deducted by physicians: (up to date as of this year, who knows what tax changes will occur in the future)

Auto Expenses at 50 cents a mile - Maintain a mileage book. Include dates, destinations, miles, reasons for travel.

Licenses (State Licenses fees and other related fees)

Dues: AOA, AAD, ACP

Subscriptions: Medical Literature/Up to Date/Access Medicine

Business related Entertainment at 50% - Keep dates, where you went, number of people and reasons for event

Insurance - Malpractice

Office Expenses - Supplies, Pens, Satchel (Tumi anyone?), Desks, Chairs, cabinets, computers, printers, Internet.

Medical Expenses - White Coat, Scrubs, Medical Equipment, Insignia Clothing

Cell Phone - Physicians can deduct their cell phone expenses, but not a home phone line.

Home Office - You cannot deduct the cost of building an office at home, but you can deduct nearly all of the contents, i.e. computers, printers, Internet, etc

Books/Medical Libarary

Furniture in your office up to $140,000

Accounting Fees

Job Hunting related fees, application fees, travel fees, etc.

Gifts from your Practice - Charity, Thank-you, etc.

Keep all of your Checks and Receipts. Pay the extra fee to have the bank actually send both your home and practice cashed checks back to you in the mail. These are vital in proving your Medical/Business related expenses to the IRS

Last edited:
Useful, thanks! :thumbup:

The Answer is Yes. You can deduct Airfare, Meals, Lodging, Transportation and Parking for all your Seminars and Meetings, but you need to claim them on your schedule C 1040. Half of can be claimed under schedule A. Keep your receipts, get a flyer/program from the meeting and if possible get a certificate of completion for any courses/hours you might take.

This is one of the big areas where people LOSE a lot of money. Most physicians do not itemize their deductions, which will often greatly exceed you general individual deduction. Other fun expenses that can be deducted by physicians: (up to date as of this year, who knows what tax changes will occur in the future)

Auto Expenses at 50 cents a mile - Maintain a mileage book. Include dates, destinations, miles, reasons for travel.

Licenses (State Licenses fees and other related fees)

Dues: AOA, AAD, ACP

Subscriptions: Medical Literature/Up to Date/Access Medicine

Business related Entertainment at 50% - Keep dates, where you went, number of people and reasons for event

Insurance - Malpractice

Office Expenses - Supplies, Pens, Satchel (Tumi anyone?), Desks, Chairs, cabinets, computers, printers, Internet.

Medical Expenses - White Coat, Scrubs, Medical Equipment, Insignia Clothing

Cell Phone - Physicians can deduct their cell phone expenses, but not a home phone line.

Home Office - You cannot deduct the cost of building an office at home, but you can deduct nearly all of the contents, i.e. computers, printers, Internet, etc

Books/Medical Libarary

Furniture in your office up to $140,000

Accounting Fees

Job Hunting related fees, application fees, travel fees, etc.

Gifts from your Practice - Charity, Thank-you, etc.

Keep all of your Checks and Receipts. Pay the extra fee to have the bank actually send both your home and practice cashed checks back to you in the mail. These are vital in proving your Medical/Business related expenses to the IRS

i thought you could only fill out a Schedule C if you are self-employed - is this not true?

If you moonlight in another city, can you deduct travel? (ie, flight, rental car, hotel, and meal costs)