Are TV Ads an Indicator of How Messed Up We Are?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was watching the History Channel this morning (Underwater Universe) and I thought the ad line up that came on was interesting. The commercial break at 0855 consisted of:

-A lawyer urging viewers to sue Reglan
-An ad for Lunesta
-An ad for H&R Block
-An ad by AmgenWyeth to go to a special website to "get info about new, effective medications" lest you get joint deformity that can "stike in less than a month." Of note this same ad is playing again as I write this 20 minutes later.
-An ad for GM's Onstar system
-A lawyer urging viewers to sue Byetta (now there's a Plavix ad on).
-An ad for a future program on History Channel

So 2/3 of all the ads in that set (now the sue Byetta ad is on again) were about buying drugs or suing drug companies.

What the Hell is wrong with us?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't forget the one for Yaz and Yazmin. Basically it's listing all the possible side effects that you get with regular birth control pills as well.

F.V.C.k.ing a$ $hole$!

This is why those of us who left well-paying careers to work on undergraduate studies are terrified.

I was watching the History Channel...2/3 of all the ads in that set ... were about buying drugs or suing drug companies.

Kinda makes you wonder about the demographic makeup of the History Channel viewership, doesn't it? ;)

old%20people%20bird.jpg