Are unopposed programs filled with IMGs/FMGs malignant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orichalum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, is an opposed with AMGs better than an unopposed with mostly IMGs/FMGs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not in my state.

Reactions: 1 user
It really depends on the region we're talking about. Just because it has mostly IMGs doesn't mean its malignant, it just means its not competitive enough to attract a lot of US MDs. If you notice even some really strong programs in rural/fly-over states will have a bunch (>50%) IMGs and the rest will all be from the local MD or DO school. They're not getting a ton of apps from US MDs, so its not surprising for them to have a lot of IMGs.

The only issue is that when you have a lot of non-US IMGs that are relying on the program giving them a visa, that program might get away with more abuse because its residents won't complain. It doesn't mean they will abuse its residents, just that they might be more willing to do so because they're more likely to get away with it.

As far as opposed with AMGs vs. unopposed with IMGs/FMGs it probably has more to do with the desirability of the region. If they're in the same city/region, it may be a sign of a weaker program, but "better" is a really subjective term. What's better for you might be the opposed university program with big sports teams because you're planning to go into sports med. Or what's better for you is the unopposed level 1 trauma because you want to work in a rural ER, or the unopposed tertiary care facility with the huge closed ICU because you want to do hospitalist medicine. It has a lot more to do with your goals and what you want in a program that "prestige" or "rank".

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to an unopposed residency like you describe and it wasn't malignant, but we did work our asses off. It wasn't for everybody.

Its really tough to determine what a program will be like for you prior to starting or without doing an audition rotation. If a place seems to offer all that you are looking for in training and you get a generally good vibe from your interactions with faculty, I wouldn't worry much about the pedigree of the current/past residents. Alternatively, if you are aspiring to a high level admin/faculty job someday and feel that the rep of where you trained will be important, then you may prefer to train somewhere you will be miserable but will look impressive on your C.V.

Reactions: 1 user
Always best to rotate for a month where you think you want to go. Only then will you get a real feel of the program.

Reactions: 1 users
Always best to rotate for a month where you think you want to go. Only then will you get a real feel of the program.
Agree with @cabinbuilder -- A program can hide the disgruntled residents/limit their interactions with interviewees if they're only there for the pregame show the night before and then the interview day -- not too hard -- put them on inpatient service, call them in and order them not to talk to them, have an attending with them whenever they're around the interviewees, etc. --- hard to do that for a month --- the dirt will come out, maybe not all of it, but some of it will come out. Oh, and don't trust anyone you don't know really well -- by that I mean I made the mistake of trusting upperclassmen from my school and a faculty member from my school regarding the program I went to --- got freakin' lied to which makes me leery of trusting anyone from the TCOM class of 2008 or TCOM in general -- be sure you know your sources and I mean really know them before you take their word for anything -- this is YOUR career and well being that's on the line. Oh, and don't take future promises for anything -- "We're incorporating some changes to make the program more D.O. friendly -- When? -- Oh, should be in the next quarter's budget" --- Call BS on that one -- unless the budget is in their hand and the changes are happening now, it's not worth the breath they used to say it. You get the idea.

Reactions: 2 users