Are USMLE scores correlated with ability to pass the radiology boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

l0st1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have low step scores (<220 on steps 1-2) and may have an opportunity to join a radiology program due to previous and current research. However I'm concerned about ability to pass the radiology boards given my track record of poor standardized exam performance. From what I understand you have 3 chances to pass- I would hate to complete a 5 year residency and not be able to pass the boards.

Any insight or experiences with passing/failing the boards? How much do you think performance on the steps factors into ability to pass the boards? What's the most important factor for success on the radiology boards? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You may not be able to pass the board, you may fail first time, you may fail the second time, you may fail the third time, you may not be able to get the job that you want, you may not make as much money as you want, you may be out of job for a while, you may end up being a mediocre radiologist, you may not be able to find a job in the location that you want.

If all you care about is boards, then don't do it. Choosing a medical specialty is a much much bigger decision. Your oversimplification is interesting.

You may not be able to pass the board, you may fail first time, you may fail the second time, you may fail the third time, you may not be able to get the job that you want, you may not make as much money as you want, you may be out of job for a while, you may end up being a mediocre radiologist, you may not be able to find a job in the location that you want.

If all you care about is boards, then don't do it. Choosing a medical specialty is a much much bigger decision. Your oversimplification is interesting.

How is this helpful or even remotely addressing the OPs question?

At no point does he say all he cares about is boards. Sheesh.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have low step scores (<220 on steps 1-2) and may have an opportunity to join a radiology program due to previous and current research. However I'm concerned about ability to pass the radiology boards given my track record of poor standardized exam performance. From what I understand you have 3 chances to pass- I would hate to complete a 5 year residency and not be able to pass the boards.

Any insight or experiences with passing/failing the boards? How much do you think performance on the steps factors into ability to pass the boards? What's the most important factor for success on the radiology boards? Thanks.
How did you do on the MCAT and other standardized exams? Usually people who do well on these exams, do well on other standardized exams including boards. The best predictor of future success is your past performance. With that said, I've seen people with low step scores do well on the radiology in service and board exams and I've seen people with high step scores do poorly. If you want to do well, you're going to have to work for it. Read the recommended books for each rotation and do lots of practice questions... Go to the board review courses and talk with senior residents about what is most important for the boards and the best resources.

The thing about each step of the way, from med student to resident to attending, is you're going to be less spoon fed at each step and will to have to take an increasing role in your own education. The people I know or who have heard about having trouble (in any specialty), had difficulty making this transition. Work hard and try to become an independent learner and you'll be fine. Almost everyone passes eventually.

This really should have no bearing on what specialty you choose- they all have board exams and I'm sure they all have limits on how many times you can attempt them. I think for our boards if you fail more than 3 or so times, they just require you to repeat a year of training (have not heard of this happening- we just had 100% pass rate for 2015 certifying exam). If you're not a good test taker, you're going to have to work a little harder no matter what specialty you choose. Might as well pick something you enjoy doing. Read an intro radiology text (or at least part of one) and try and decide if you like it enough to study everyday for 5-6 yrs (Actually the rest of you're life).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The answer to the OPs question is yes.

That's not just the case with Radiology, but with several other specialties too. The ACGME includes among its accreditation requirements a that the residents in a program are able to pass their specialty boards.

If a program director were to admit a candidate with poor past test perormance even if the candidate is "pure of heart and genuinely interested" in the specialty he'd be opening another layer of liability I his program's ability to remain accredited.

Also, having past board fails in his program looks worse on the program's record than anything else.

Finally, residency more than med school require the ability of successful, self motivated and self directed learning skills.

Reactions: 1 user