Are visible tattoos bad for Psychologists ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legal Eagle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have alot of tattoos on my arms that are easy to cover up with clothing, but lately I've been thinking about getting a tattoo on the left side of my neck. Would this be a bad idea?
Im currently an undergraduate student just so you know, thinking that a Ph.d is where I want to go with my education.
I know that tattoos are becoming more prevelant and acceptable and part of me thinks that I should just do what I want to do; another part of me say's that I should play it safe. What do you guys think?

I was thinking about getting a nice Japanese style rose, it wouldn't be some crazy skull motif or anything(which would be cool though).

Please tell me what you think. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Members don't see this ad.

I have alot of tattoos on my arms that are easy to cover up with clothing, but lately I've been thinking about getting a tattoo on the left side of my neck. Would this be a bad idea?
Im currently an undergraduate student just so you know, thinking that a Ph.d is where I want to go with my education.
I know that tattoos are becoming more prevelant and acceptable and part of me thinks that I should just do what I want to do; another part of me say's that I should play it safe. What do you guys think?

I was thinking about getting a nice Japanese style rose, it wouldn't be some crazy skull motif or anything(which would be cool though).

I'm a big fan of tattoos and have a few myself. Keep in mind that this is an opinion.

I would stay away from visible tats. This is a competitive field. You simply don't need anymore strikes against you, and a neck tattoo could potentially be a strike when interviewing for schools/jobs or when working with some populations.

Not having a visible tattoo removes you from that possibility.

You have a large, clothing-covered canvas to work with. I say stick to it, especially until you have established yourself in your profession.

Interesting question...

I have no tattoos myself and personally see nothing wrong with PhD students and psychologists sporting them. In fact, I think that having tattoos might actually help you bond with certain groups of teenagers/ youth... I spent some time working with children with severe behavioral/ emotional problems and many of my colleagues had tattoos, multiple piercings, etc. My observation was that many of the kids related to these body adornments and talking about these tattoos was a great way for staff to bond with these kids who generally thought that every adult was a prat.

That said, I would not be too surprised if some more 'serious' professors would make assumptions about you (good and bad), based on your tattoos. I would imagine that having clearly visible tattoos might place you at a disadvantage when interviewing with these more 'serious (I guess we could say square)' faculty members (there are plenty of them around).

All the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
it disgruntles me to give this opinion because in a perfect world it wouldn't matter one bit but.. i say no tattoo on the neck.

Yesterday I saw a Family medicine resident with a tattoo on her neck. It made me look twice. Although I'm not personally for tattoos, I don't really care if someone had one. Not everyone who is not for tattoos is like me and unfortunately they carry a stigma with them whether it's fair or not. Obviously you like tattoos and if it is making you second guess getting one on your neck then I would say I wouldn't go for it.

I did post-doc work in a rather "low-budget" assisted living center.

One of the floor aides told the office staff how excited she was that she was off to get something tatted to her neck.

"Be prepared for this to be the highest paying job you ever get," commented the facility's administrator.

Apparently, the administrator was the one not fully versed in the proliferation of body mods.

Still, as most others have said, you have plenty of discreet body canvas available. Why give someone an excuse to make a prejudiced decision about you?

(PS - Parts of my discreet canvas have been "artistically enhanced.")

A year ago I would have said it wouldn't matter much, but this year my practicum placement's dress code didn't allow my nose stud (the piercing has now closed up). Consequently, I would probably advise against it. Even if you know that the kind of site you want to work in for your career would accept it, there are lots of places you may have to work along that road that may not.

Stick to the ink you can keep discreetly hidden. You don't need your superiors or your clients making judgments about you, and tattoos are one thing that do lend themselves to doing just that.

Mark

I have a tasteful 3" rose on the inside of my left forearm (no color). It can be covered up with long sleeves, but is very visible in spring/summer months. Most of my clients have seen it, some make comments, but so far only positive. My professors/supervisors have never said a word (not sure how to interpret that). I purposely covered it up for internship interviews. So it will be interesting to see if there are any reactions once revealed. Having that said, I interviewed at a VA where the staff had tongue studs, and other piercings. I was quite surprised. I also have a put-together way of dressing, professional, fashionable but not overly so. For some reason I think it makes my tattoo more palatable. The whole package is put together, but with a little 'embellishment' ;)

I wish I didn't have to think anything of it at all. And hopefully people will see my skills and think little of the rest...

In my psychiatric hospital practicum, employees were required to cover up all tattoos. There is too big of a risk of one closed-minded interviewer deciding you will not be selected for a program, internship, or job because of a neck tattoo. Don't do it!!:D

I never had a problem-- I did my Masters internship at an inpatient psych. hospital-- had a small stud in my nose the entire time (I eventually took it out because I also have birds and they like to play with shiny things).

I also have a tattoo that cannot really be hidden, particularly in the summer-- it is a vine of flowers and leaves that go around my wrist like a bracelet.

I work as a therapist and just secured my assessment practicum as a doc. student-- all with the tattoo-- so it hasn't been an issue.

At some point, I want to get a tattoo in memory of my Dad-- I'm not sure where I would have it placed. I think I want it on my back, in a place that would only be visible while wearing a tank top/strapless top. Sooooo that wouldn't apply to my practicum or my job, obviously.

As for your neck tattoo-- I don't really see the problem.

I get tired and bored of people saying that tattoos and such will put a strike against you in a competitive field.

Hi. I'm not sure if this is useful, but I wanted to give you the perspective of someone in an older age range. Personally I'm fine with most tattoos, although I don't have any myself. But I'm in my 40s and hang around a lot of people in the 45-60 age range. Among these folks, there is a good deal of prejudice against piercings and tattoos. A lot of people from the baby-boomer and above generation view tattoos as "low class" or acceptable only in prison or the military. I think the view is changing, but you may still encounter some traditionalists of the older generation who feel this way.;)

I get tired and bored of people saying that tattoos and such will put a strike against you in a competitive field.

While we may not like it, the fact is that there is still a stigma associated with tats, and sadly there is a possibility that you may encounter that stigma in this profession...I have (although it didn't effect me personally). Also, at the suggestion of my former advisor, I take my piercing out before interviews and presentations.

As long is one is aware of that possibility, they can make whatever decision they wish.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
NO on the neck tattoo. Neck tattoos are still pretty stigmatized as they are frequently associated with gang members and ex-cons, although if you're a tattooer you can get away with it, and probably if you're not planning to have a "professional" job. Small things on the back of the neck, generally okay - but anything on the side or front - probably not.

That said - I am covered with tattoos (all very tasteful art)...and I mean covered. I plan to get more - a lot more. I am working on getting 25-30% coverage of my body done. I do not cover them up at work, and no one has ever said anything negative - I get a lot of compliments from staff and patients. In fact, it has actually helped establish rapport and trust with my patients (a forensic population). However, I will not get a tattoo anywhere I can't cover up for court.

I never had a problem-- I did my Masters internship at an inpatient psych. hospital-- had a small stud in my nose the entire time (I eventually took it out because I also have birds and they like to play with shiny things).

Would you have even known if it was a problem. The nature of discrimination is that it can be subtle and escape observation. It's not always overt behavior.

Do you think that minorities don't face discrimination based on phenotypical characteristics? It is the same with Tattoos. Let's say I like tattoos and Mexicans, will I discriminate against Mexicans or those with tattoos? No, nor will I think there is anything wrong with them.... but lets say I don't trust White people and people with tattoos. Do you think that I would treat both groups in a similar manner? Do you think that I would say, "Hi, nice to meet you, and I don't trust you because you are White or have tattoos?" No, of course not, I will keep that information to myself and either consciously or unconsciously express my bias.

I think you miss the point here. I don't have a problem with tattoos (I have some), and those who chose to have visible tattoos should expect that their tattoos (just like their clothes) will be used as part of the information to evaluate them. To think otherwise is incredibly naive.

Mark

My husband has a tattoo & I have no tattoos, but I'm open to them. However, when we were interviewing for nannies for our children, a very qualified person applied, but she had a neck tattoo. We did not offer her the position solely because of the tattoo (as it could've been misperceived as a "gang tattoo"). I'm sad that we'll never get to know her, but I couldn't put my children in a questionable situation. It has to do with your image. Sure, you'll be viewed more favorable by a certain audience, but couldn't you find other ways to do that, like the interpersonal skills that you will develop in your training to be a psychologist?

I agree with Markp's post. You may never know what people think or how you are discriminated against. Unfortunately, we do live in society with norms for "acceptable" behavior. If you lived in a town where everyone has neck tattoos and you'll be accepted into a PhD/PsyD program in that town where all the faculty and fellow students have neck tattoos, then more power to you. We never told this young lady that her implicit gang tattoo could be potentially threatening and may contribute negatively to how others' perceive her (& our children with her) in the playground. It could've been a pretty rose or anything, but the fact it was on her neck was a strong personal statement of non-conformity. You can call me conservative on this issue. Psychologists are different from nannies...but, why not reward yourself with this tattoo after you've finished your PhD training and secured the clients who would be open to their therapist being "totally rad?" :cool:

Last edited:
I'm going to join the "no" chorus. There's a huge difference between having a small, tasteful, and probably unnoticeable tattoo on your arm or the small of your back (which pretty much everyone seemed to get in college) and having one your neck, where you won't be able to hide from it. Some people will think it's cool, other will say it's cool but think it's crazy, and still others will hate it but not say anything. Whatever the case, people will use that information to make assumptions about you, for better or worse, and that's not a position you want to put yourself in. People WILL judge you for it, and most people negatively (like it or not).

I can't overemphasize the importance of appearing professional in grad school. On my first day of grad school, a faculty member gave me this piece of advice: "This is not the time to dye your hair pink." It's hard enough to be taken seriously when you're a 20-something treating a 40-something-- don't set up any more obstacles for yourself. I like tattoos-- they can look awesome when done right-- but this is not the time for your neck. Maybe one day you'll get to the point in your career where you feel like it won't have an impact, and then you can get it then.

Incidentally, back of the neck or front (a la Jeffery from Project Runway)?

It's not just that the discrimination may be not be overt. The person's judgment may be a unconscious process.

And keep in mind that when it comes to tattoos, and so many other things, taste is in the eye of the beholder. Of course you think your tattoo of the dolphin smoking a bong is tasteful. But keep in mind that much of psychology is run by an old guard.

Someone needs to run an IAT test investigating the stigma against tattoos.

It's really not that serious. I don't know about the neck tattoo, but I do have a tattoo around my wrist. I also did have some pink streaks on the undersides of my hair last year (yes, while working as a therapist; yes, while going to doctoral school). There is always someone that will judge for something. I got accepted to all Masters programs that I applied to, I got accepted to the one doctoral program I applied to. I never had a problem with internships or jobs. I even had a small stud in my nose a couple of years ago, and that was not a problem either.

I am liberal, I am creative, but I also know what is appropriate. I dress professionally for jobs and interviews, while incorporating my own style (side note: I adore 60s mod style), and I don't like being generic. The way I choose to express myself in terms of dress and such, is very much a reflection of my personality-- all of which have worked for me.

There is a balance in being creative and liberal, and being tasteful. Do I think it's appropriate for someone to show up at their job in goth-style with black lipstick and piercings all over the place? No. But seriously-- some people just have to relax and stop being so afraid.

Incidentally, I was somewhere last week and saw a guy with "GANGSTER" tattooed on his neck. Don't get that.

Don't do it! I work for a very well respected, big institution that spends a lot of time looking for "clues" of rebellion, non-conformity etc. Personally, I think the differences are what make the world go round, but they come from a different train of thought (and they do the decision-making as well)........also be careful what is posted on your facebook/my space pages........they scour the web looking for anything that would make you a poor candidate such as pictures of you partying, drinking, etc.........

I work for a very well respected, big institution that spends a lot of time looking for "clues" of rebellion, non-conformity etc. /quote]

I couldn't help but chuckle at this, since so many grad students have 4,9 elevations on the MMPI. :p

To the OP: I agree with the bulk of the posts; it's probably not a good idea to get a neck tat at this point. I say wait until later...until your career is established. I have a very visable tat on my forearm, which hasn't been a problem, but I think there is a gradation of acceptance. In other words, tats are losing their stigmas, especially as gen x'ers & the younger generations enter the academic/work force. Like everything else though, there is an evolution of sorts that takes place. Tats are more common, but there are certain areas of the body that are considered more "bold" for tats than others. I think that was what the one person was getting at when they said that a small one on the back of the neck might be fine, but on the side or front would raise more eyebrows. It's kind of about how FAR outside of the norm you go. I haven't had any issues with my forearm tat, but it's in a less "rebellious" area than a front or side neck tat (if that makes sense). You'll know how accepting your grad program/internship/post doc/career site are once you're there. If you absolutely can't resist, just make sure you seek out environments that are more forward thinking & encourage individuality.

(I just read this 5 page article on the meshing of generations in the workforce & how boomers often find the appearances of gen x'ers & milleniums as nonprofessional. I think this is continually changing, since the latter 2 groups now outnumber the former in the workforce. However, you have to remember that for now, many professors & employers are still in the boomer generation & may frown upon body art a lot more than we might assume is reasonable.)

It's refeshing to see the world evolving so that tattoo's do not hold as much of their stigma anymore...however, not as much stigma does not equal zero stigma, unfortunately.

I have been accepted, and will be starting, Ed.D program in counselor education this fall and I have a tattoo (which was visable during my interview). I am blessed to be around accepting, open minded faculty and students at the university where I will be attending, however, I do not know if this is the case at every university or job.

My tattoo is on the inside of my wrist and is very noticeable, especially in the summer when I wear short sleeves. I do not want people to judge me based on my tattoo, so, often if I am meeting someone for the first time (such as a potential employer), I will wear bracelets or long sleeves to cover it up. Then, after they have gotten a chance to know me and I have proven my skills and abilities as a student, counselor, etc...then I feel I can take off the bracelets and reveal my tattoo (which I am very proud of and helped design!).

Having a tattoo has also been a source of unexpected blessing. It has allowed me to establish rapport with clients and within my community where I might not have been able to. Most of my clients come from backgrounds in which tattoos are expected, such as criminal populations where getting gang tats or jail house tats is the norm, and having a tattoo myself has been a way for me to open doors with them.

Like everything in this world, there are pros and cons about tattoos and being a PhD/EdD/Psy.D :)

When I go for a job interview, I wear a suit. I wear an oxford shirt with a color and a tie and shined black shoes. I have also interview people for therapist jobs and RN positions. People have handed me resumes and CVs that had food stains; that were rumpled; that were printed on high rag content, heavy-weight paper (high rag content is a good thing with paper). I have interviewed peopel who were dressed in medical scrubs, t-shirts, ill fitting clothing and in dress-suits. Each one made this own impression even before they began speaking. When a new patient comes to me, I generally wear a jacket (not usually tie, though). On my walls I do not have paintings which are controversial or suggestive in their symbolism. As a psychologist we do play a role. That role does require us to dress and behave in a certain way in professional contexts. There are ways I woudl expect someone who is going for an MFA to dress that are just not appropriate for a psychologist or future-psychologist. If you are asking strangers for advise on whether to get a tatoo, then perhaps you shoudl re-examine your motives for getting the tatoo.

I would wait, personally, until you're established and no one can say anything to you. One of my friends got alot of hassle from his bosses for having long hair, even though he went through his program, his internship, and the first year of his employment with it. I took out my nose stud when I interviewed, just b/c I didn't want to run the risk of my piercing being an issue. When I have my own practice down the road, I plan on having it repierced, and getting a tattoo.

advice: look at all the big name psychologists. then at all the big name physicians. emulate their appearance.

Thought of this thread when I saw this article:

When Tattoos Hurt Job Prospects

If "street" kids are covering up tats to get jobs, perhaps rebellion ain't all what it's cracked up to be!

advice: look at all the big name psychologists. then at all the big name physicians. emulate their appearance.

Plenty of big name professionals across all professions have tattoos...some even have lots of them. It's just having the foresight to get them in places that you can cover up at work (why OP's neck tattoo is a no-no). I always dress appropriately for work and will always wear a pantsuit in court (with a blouse or very high-necked chemise under my jacket), but although my profession is my passion, my job is not my life and when I am not at work, I very much enjoy showing my 30+ and counting pieces of art (including my soon-to-be full traditional Japanese sleeve and backpiece).

There is nothing wrong with being a tattooed psychologist, and small visible things on your ankle or wrist are not a big deal. Showing more than that depends on your workplace. But don't ever think that your "professional" identity must rule your whole life, and if you like and want tattoos, get them.

Thought of this thread when I saw this article:

When Tattoos Hurt Job Prospects

If "street" kids are covering up tats to get jobs, perhaps rebellion ain't all what it's cracked up to be!

Said "street" kids were gang affiliated or living in an urban area with large gang populations. There is a world of difference between gang and prison tattoos and true artistry. Even if I showed up to work in a tank top, showing off most of my tattoos, no one would for a second question if I had been involved in a gang or spent time in the pen, because my tattoos do not look like gang or prison "tats."

The color, quality, location and type is what signals gang tattoos, and that is what all the tattoos in that article were. Tattoos of names or nicknames, numbers, in script or Old English font on your hands, wrists or neck are like neon signs saying "GANG" (or, "POOR PERSON OF COLOR WHO GREW UP IN THE GHETTO" - and of course we know the instant association to gang and other criminal activity).

I would get a tattoo of a bullseye on your lower back.

Just because.

Plenty of big name professionals across all professions have tattoos...some even have lots of them. It's just having the foresight to get them in places that you can cover up at work (why OP's neck tattoo is a no-no). I always dress appropriately for work and will always wear a pantsuit in court (with a blouse or very high-necked chemise under my jacket), but although my profession is my passion, my job is not my life and when I am not at work, I very much enjoy showing my 30+ and counting pieces of art (including my soon-to-be full traditional Japanese sleeve and backpiece).

There is nothing wrong with being a tattooed psychologist, and small visible things on your ankle or wrist are not a big deal. Showing more than that depends on your workplace. But don't ever think that your "professional" identity must rule your whole life, and if you like and want tattoos, get them.

Being another tattooed psychologist and Naval Officer, my tats are where they can be hidden under my uniform (even the summer uniforms.) You're right, nothing wrong with it at all, but you have to be able to present an image that will not engender bias when needed (e.g. testifying in court.)

While I might think that a person with tats looks great, or cool, or intriguing is great, but what others might think is a concern too. I have a tattoo that can really elicit a visceral response for some people (it's nothing negative) and could have unseen repercussions if I were not able to hide it. Good post about using some foresight and judgment to have what you want without affecting your career in a negative way.

Mark

psydgrrrl,

i don't get it. your reply to my post was essentially affirming my assertion.

unless you though i meant emulating the appearance of successful psychologist while they are naked.

and to the OP: you are not a post doc. might want to change that title.

psydgrrrl,
unless you though i meant emulating the appearance of successful psychologist while they are naked.

Ha ha ha. I guess my interpretation of your post was that you were saying we should emulate the conservative appearance in all ways...including under the clothes. That was my mistake. I just also wanted to reinforce to people that being heavily tattooed does not equal "not professional" - just be wise about how you get heavily tattooed. (Or lightly tattooed, for that matter).