Are we all just a little bit obsessive

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by wannabedoctor, Oct 2, 2000.

1. wannabedoctor

wannabedoctor Member

Aren't we all just a little bit obsessive about getting into medical school. Maybe one needes to be in order to make that climb through the trenches of the application process. I am 25 years old currently in graduate school, I am in my fourth semester to eventually become a speech language pathologist. My desire to understand the rigers of a medical career is present. I have a year and a half till I graduate. 3.1 gpa undergrad ,,3.2 in grad. I am interested to here the journeys of people who made the decision that I find so hard to make.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

none of us is obsessive. it is the med schools' problem!

there are so many law schools, some even open at night. if it is as easy as getting into a law school, i am sure that there won't be so many of us cutting thorats just to get into med schools.

4. MikeS 78

MikeS 78 Senior Member

youngjock
    I think I speak for this entire web board when I say that no body wants to hear your opaquely bitter rants about why you were robbed from going into medicine due to greed

and your grammar is attrocious to boot

5. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member

Wow, youngjock, that last war didn't quench your bitterness. Go to law school, then...

I have to agree in part that there *is* a lot of obsessing on this board. But take a look at who we are: premeds and med students, for the most part. We're certainly not the general population, we're not joes from the street. We're driven people, and many of us (admittedly not all) will acheive the dream with some hard work and a bit of luck.

The rigors are kind of dumbfounding when you take a step back: for the goal many folks put themselves through hell (and there are plenty of books from the vocal minority who will rant about how they regret it). My journey was relatively bumpless: I've always known I wanted to do it, worked my butt off to go to a good school, do fine on the MCAT, and apparently appeased the right gods so I got in on the first round -- NOT the norm. I feel blessed... the most interesting stories are from the folks who hit LOTS of speedbumps and are still driven. These are the people I admire most.

6. wannabedoctor

wannabedoctor Member

Thanks all for the responses
    Good Luck in your medical careers..

"I sacrifice all my life, just to make the earth and my dreams the same" Lets go there
    come on lets go there" Can you take me higher

Creed Higher

7. RDJ

RDJ

I have a theory on Young-Jock. I think he is a prodigy?an intellectual freak of nature. Albert E. would have nothing on him. He is probably an accelerated student, or perhaps even a post-doc at one of the top-ten schools. Perhaps he is done with all that and is working in the basement of the CDC or NIH?maybe even the CIA? As for us, we are his toy?his pets. He throws out a bone and we bite every time? [​IMG]

8. dr_bigboi

dr_bigboi Member

Quoting Creed isn't much more inspirational than quoting The Baha Men "Who Let the Dogs Out?".....god I hate that song.

9. tristate

tristate Senior Member

Ok, let's not get started on songs.

But really Youngjock, getting into law school isn't easy.

10. Dave2K

Dave2K Member

Wannabedoc-

I assume that you want to hear the (abbreviated, hopefully) life stories of how people are applying to or have gotten into medical school. Myself, I didn't work hard enough in college, with a 3.2 GPA. Took a year off with a ****ty job in a lab (basically slaughtering rats for most of my days...biology degrees are worthless) before going on to graduate school. I'm now at Emory University, earning an Master's of Public Health, and presently applying to medical schools for Fall 2001.

The reason the process of getting into medical school (not to mention the actual education once you are in) is so rigorous is that medicine is a field that should have as few slackers as possible. Doing a piss-poor job as an accountant or software coder will simply result in positions where these people can do no harm, if they still have jobs at all. But in medicine, doing a piss-poor job is likely to get somebody killed. And the structure of the medical field means that many physicians can practice with hardly any oversight (as opposed to the corporate world, with a massive hierarchy of bosses). People who aren't committed, aren't intellectually capable, and can't make the grade need to be eliminated from the process. It's a cold reality, but there is less room for error in the medical field than in most other positions. Okay, enough ranting. Good luck to everyone involved, no matter what your journey!