Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Are we eligible for financial aid?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by RNAgirl, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Does anyone know if MSTP fellows are eligible for financial aid?

I asked the MSTP coordinator at Michigan today, and she said fellows would not be eligible for aid from the school or the federal government. She said I would have to report the tuition funding as income in addition to the stipend, hence my income level would be too high to qualify for any loans. But, I know for a fact that many of the MSTP students at Northwestern were taking out loans.

Any insight?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus

Hmm. Strange... I have been told by a couple of schools that they encourage their students to apply for financial aid! To be honest, I can't remember exactly what schools those were... :)

But I do remember that coming distinctly from a school. You should probably still qualify for unsubsidized loans, right?

4. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus

Pour toi, mon amie RNAgirl, j'ai trouve un bon link. C'est de la MSTP a Yale - ils disent que les etudiants de Yale sont eligible pour l'aide financial. :D

<a href="http://www.med.yale.edu/mdphd/life/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.med.yale.edu/mdphd/life/index.html</a>

Regardez la premiere paragraph.

5. Oui brando, je l'ai vu quand j'ai fait l'application pour Yale. Peut-etre je telephonerais directement le bureau a l'aide financielle a Michigan demain. Merci! :)

6. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

thanks for the french refresher guys... dang i cant remember how to conjugate the future tenses anymore! Oh well, i think its time to switch to spanish.

As for the original question, I think its highly dependent on the school. For example, at Yale 16k per year in New Havens cost of living is rather subpar compared to other schools. So I imagine that while at Yale financial aid might be possible, that at other schools it would not be.

At WashU, I was offered a stipend of 22.5k per year and I know there was no way I could have gotten any other financial aid.