Are we ortho rejects?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

murph79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
People have been posting in the allopathic section that the majority of EM residents are just people who couldn't into ortho. I wonder if he has a point, I wanted to do ortho, but my board score was a 224 and I was told that I should seek something less competitve like emergency medicine. The thing of it is that I can bench more than my step 1 score, does that get me anything? I would like to do ortho, but I guess shift work doesn't sound too bad.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, I'm a first year med student, but ortho already rejected me :).

murph79 said:
People have been posting in the allopathic section that the majority of EM residents are just people who couldn't into ortho. I wonder if he has a point, I wanted to do ortho, but my board score was a 224 and I was told that I should seek something less competitive like emergency medicine.
I'll assume for a moment that this is not just recreational trolling and respond. I've never had any interest in Ortho. No one I know in my practice or my residency had to choose between Ortho and EM and that was not because of competitiveness. The fields are totally dissimilar.
murph79 said:
The thing of it is that I can bench more than my step 1 score, does that get me anything? I would like to do ortho, but I guess shift work doesn't sound too bad.
On second thought this must be a troll. Sorry for feeding it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please Do Not Feed The Troll!!!!

DoNotFeedTroll.jpg

Apparently everyone wants to bash EM.. Thats cool.. I have a life, my wife is awesome, life is great at an MS4.. Sorry that you have to hate.. :p

For the record. I too was rejected from ortho. But unlike socute I was summarily rejected for the past 10 years by EVERY program. I think this was largely due to the fact that i never applied... Oh well I guess my loss ;)

The troll...err....OP has posted about doing ENT.. Perhaps his board score isnt gonna cut it for him.. Hmm maybe he is an ortho and ENT reject? He also trolled the FP board with a "Fp is gonna be extinct due to Med/Peds".. Must be a 3rd yr troll cause his comments make no sense.

Yeah, haha, EM's getting a decent amount of bashing today in the allopathic forum too, but it seems like our regulars are defending just ok. EM is gonna get criticism all the time though, I had a lot of crazy comments during 3rd year also rotating through all the areas. Everyone would say what they are going into (many times sucking up by saying whatever rotation we were on), and I would always be EM, which always ended up getting a comment about shift work, or too many scans ordered 'down there'.

EM is easy to criticize because the field has to make decisions based many times on unavailable tests and have to make it as quickly as possible. Yes, many times the patients have non-emergent stuff, but its the tough cases where a good/trained EP is needed.

rohit ANYONE going into this field has to realize that this is part and parcel of the profession. Its totally cool with me though. I dont want to be married to my job thats why I got married to my wife.. One of the things that helped me decide on my career path was during 3rd yr looking at the attendings, who is happy, who is not? Who is most like me?

Split in 2 for +pad+

Well I went into every rotation giving them all a fair shot even though I was leaning to EM. I loved Peds, I liked every other rotation including surg. I realized I didnt like any of them more than EM. I also realized that the surgeons were miserable divorced overworked A-holes.. Im too happy and nice to join that profession. I just cant wake up being pissed and miserable EVERY morning.

very very few people do EM because they couldn't do something else. EM attracts a certain type of person that fits into few other areas of medicine. For example, most people in EM rule out insanely time intensive jobs early on in third year when they discover that yes, they enjoy life outside of work. So, that scratches off a number of things, including ortho. In fact, the folks I know in EM would find the ortho lifestyle intolerably miserable and boring. Almost everybody I know that is doing EM or will do EM is in the field because it is what they want to do. In summary, emergency doctors are very rarely anybody's rejects.

EctopicFetus said:
Split in 2 for +pad+

Well I went into every rotation giving them all a fair shot even though I was leaning to EM. I loved Peds, I liked every other rotation including surg. I realized I didnt like any of them more than EM. I also realized that the surgeons were miserable divorced overworked A-holes.. Im too happy and nice to join that profession. I just cant wake up being pissed and miserable EVERY morning.

post padding here too, been kind of quiet posting but that might change :) Yeah I kind of feel the same way, did EMT stuff and have always liked the patient population EM treats. I also felt I got along better with Emergency medicine folks. Yeah its shift work, but not like its 8-5 everyday, holidays/weekends/nights will always be there and there are many non-EM professions that can have 8-5 jobs with all the groups available. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying radiologists/cardiologists/surgeons do not have to pull nighters.

Your comment about surgeons though, in my experiences I've met a few surgeons that are actually pretty nice folks, and so if thats what makes you happy, I think its cool to go into. Its funny to me how every field has its stereotypic personalities....When folks in my class find out what someone is going into, they sometimes say, "oh he looks like a radiologist/pathologist/surgeon"...

My experience is that the peeps going into surg are the gunner types. IMO the Rads and Derm folks are more laid back, and know how to have fun. The Rads guys tend to be a little quieter but real cool, they are less social overall than EM, the Derm people are the real smart, happy and cool people.

They just go about their business in a nondescript way. I know that my and EVERYONE elses experience is likely to be quite different. Of the attendings I worked with who were G Surgeons (10-12) only 2 seemed to actually be happy. Most were miserable. Obviously the residents were that way but that is to be expected!

Members don't see this ad :)
EctopicFetus said:
My experience is that the peeps going into surg are the gunner types. IMO the Rads and Derm folks are more laid back, and know how to have fun. The Rads guys tend to be a little quieter but real cool, they are less social overall than EM, the Derm people are the real smart, happy and cool people.

I feel like I get along well with most everyone (I guess a little typical of EM haha), but for some reason some attraction to Psych folks.

EctopicFetus said:
They just go about their business in a nondescript way. I know that my and EVERYONE elses experience is likely to be quite different. Of the attendings I worked with who were G Surgeons (10-12) only 2 seemed to actually be happy. Most were miserable. Obviously the residents were that way but that is to be expected!

Maybe this is why I dont mind psychiatrists so much!

http://www.gruntdoc.com/pics/bmj.jpg

rohitpatel said:
I feel like I get along well with most everyone (I guess a little typical of EM haha), but for some reason some attraction to Psych folks.
The surgery residents loved me.. thats cause Im a no-nonsense worker I dont whine or cry. I just do what I have to do. Then when we have free time I can BS with the best of em.. I really enjoyed ALL my 3rd yr rotations.. (a little less for OB but I liked the residents & attendings..)

EctopicFetus said:

Also, just a little plug for the UAB ED nurses, if you go to www.gruntdoc.com web page, you'll see their video (top right under most searched). Not that I had anything to do with it, still have to feel proud right? Both away rotations I did (UC-Irvine, Christiana Care), no joke the first shift I was told about the UAB nurse rap video haha.

This is separated from the last post simply to get my number of posts above the 10+

rohit u have a way to go.. go to the paths lead is shrinking and do some work!!

Rohit... CLASSIC man!! That was AWESOME!!!

EctopicFetus said:
rohit u have a way to go.. go to the paths lead is shrinking and do some work!!

dang, just saw your 2000 plus. maybe I need to take off on my cardiology rotation this monday and try to put in a full day of posting....

dude.. welcome to having too much time on my hands.. 95% of my posting has been between oct and now..Cards.. Bleh... Im doing rads man.. thats where the good life is!

EctopicFetus said:
dude.. welcome to having too much time on my hands.. 95% of my posting has been between oct and now..Cards.. Bleh... Im doing rads man.. thats where the good life is!

Next month I'll be in Vegas doing an away rotation in Forensic Pathology. Can't wait!!, you might actually see me in the background of CSI..could launch me into my acting career. Think I can balance EM/acting...

well I guess I'll have to settle on that combo, since I can't obviously get into ortho :)

We are all ortho rejects so dont feel bad. EM is the new dumping ground :)

Acting would be sweet though.. Lots of opportunities for hot chix!

Heh. I rejected ortho. You couldn't pay me enough. It's cool for a little while, but when you're only 30 minutes into a 16-hour spinal fusion, death seems like a reasonable alternative.

See aformentioned algorhythm.
Me = EM resident = no attention span.

murph79 said:
People have been posting in the allopathic section that the majority of EM residents are just people who couldn't into ortho. I wonder if he has a point, I wanted to do ortho, but my board score was a 224 and I was told that I should seek something less competitve like emergency medicine. The thing of it is that I can bench more than my step 1 score, does that get me anything? I would like to do ortho, but I guess shift work doesn't sound too bad.

I've wanted to be an ER doctor since high school. I've never wanted to fix old ladies' hips for a living.

Since I never had the desire to do ortho, I'm obviously not an ortho reject.

Ortho??! :laugh:

Why anyone would want to do carpentry for a living is way beyond me. Worst specialty of all time.

I would rather be an ortho reject than an orthopod.

Example of a conversation with an orthopod's son (aka, my ex boyfriend):
ME: Yeah, and all these gunners in my class...
HIM: What's a gunner?
ME: Go ask your dad.

HIM (to his dad): What's a gunner?
His dad: There's no such thing, son, no such thing.

HIM (to me): My dad says there's no such thing.
ME: Tell your dad to look in the mirror

Not all that relevant, but felt like sharing!

socuteMD said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

socuteMD said:

Not to brag, but I matched the trifecta (combined derm/plastics/neurosurg) as a premed.

Oh, and, if you are interested, I have some property for sale. Oceanfront of course. :laugh:

socuteMD said:

Not to brag, but I matched the trifecta (combined derm/plastics/neurosurg) as a premed.

Oh, and, if you are interested, I have some property for sale. Oceanfront of course. :laugh:

Not to turn this into a bash ortho thread ( I have lots of good friends going into it), but my favorite two ortho jokes are probably:

What do you call two orthopods looking at an EKG? A double blind study.

What are the 2 toughest years of an orthopods life? 4th grade.

I think there was a thread on ortho jokes awhile back, might be fun to poke some fun at them every once and awhile.

socuteMD said:

Calling someone's father a gunner - PRICELESS. :laugh:

i will say, when you need an orthopod yourself, you're really grateful. my own sports injuries, knee surgeries, and current SI dislocation after a horseback fall have me ingratiated and have probably paid a lot of ortho kids' college tuition!

i actually considered ortho, mostly as a premed, as an avenue to sports med. when i learned of the nuts and bolts of ortho residency, however -- i bolted as fast as i could!

How true is the stereotype that surgeons have no time for family and/or work long tiring hours?? I like surgery and EM, leaning towards EM mainly for fear of intense life.

Hoya11 said:
How true is the stereotype that surgeons have no time for family and/or work long tiring hours?? I like surgery and EM, leaning towards EM mainly for fear of intense life.

To avoid turning this into a surgery bash thread, I would advise that when you do your mandatory third year rotation in surgery you ask the surgeons this question.

For me, I actually considered GS during medical school. Except that every surgeon I talked to advised against it. Most said they "wouldn't do it again" (speaking of going into medicine). Almost every EP I spoke with was happy and "would do it again in a heartbeat".

But that is my experience. You really should discuss things with the surgeons and residents at your school.

- H

AMBinNC said:
i will say, when you need an orthopod yourself, you're really grateful. my own sports injuries, knee surgeries, and current SI dislocation after a horseback fall have me ingratiated and have probably paid a lot of ortho kids' college tuition!

i actually considered ortho, mostly as a premed, as an avenue to sports med. when i learned of the nuts and bolts of ortho residency, however -- i bolted as fast as i could!

Oh for sure. My orthopedist is practically the fifth member of my immediate family. In fact, I think I'm the only one of us four he has yet to cut open!!!

He still schedules 1 patient every 6 minutes (I kid you not) and doesn't have a whole lot of personality, though. We love him anyways :).

I know an orthopod who was among the most intelligent & well-rounded physicians I'd ever met. He knew all of his kids' names (first, last AND middle!), and even coached a few baseball teams.

Admittedly, the statistical signifigance of this is questionable...

Hoya11 said:

during residency, pretty true. however post residency, it depends. the reason many surgeons work so much is that as reimbursments drop, surgical volume and workload have to increase to maintain the same salary. i know personally several surgeons that are making the same money but working many more hours simply because they were accustomed to the money they were making. on the flip-side, i've also run into orthopedists and general surgeons that only operate 2-3 days per week and enjoy their families.

every medical specialty has people married to their career (yes, even emergency medicine), and every medical specialty has people who sacrifice potential $$$ for family. decide on a specialty you can see yourself enjoying regardless of the compensation and you'll be fine. as a competent physician you will never be in the poor-house or unemployed (unless you choose to be).

--your friendly neighborhood peds subspecialty searching caveman

i've actually managed to have TWO different orthopods in different cities who were warm and personable and were actually listening to what i had to say! the 2nd of those ended up operating on my knee and finally resolved the problem i had been suffering from for 10 years.

socuteMD said:
Oh for sure. My orthopedist is practically the fifth member of my immediate family. In fact, I think I'm the only one of us four he has yet to cut open!!!

He still schedules 1 patient every 6 minutes (I kid you not) and doesn't have a whole lot of personality, though. We love him anyways :).