Are we taking the MCAT or meeting President Obama?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fas376

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reading the test day procedures on AAMC's site and since I'm a first time taker, I was not aware of all of these policies.

Metal detector scan
Finger print every time you enter or exit the room
No pencils, water bottles, watches. what if they have some ghetto ass pencils that I don't want to use?
If you're hott, f.uck you, they don't care. You either have to keep your sweatshirt on or go to a "secure area" and leave it there, while the clock keeps running.

The hell is this? I know they want to do everything possible to keep people from cheating, but WTF man. pretty sure it's easier to say what's up to Obama

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If we bring a box of mechanical pencils, can we use those? Or does that only apply to the earplugs?

It really wasn't that bad in my experience. They did have ghetto pencils though, but they got the job done

i don't think they would allow mechanical pencils. But they provide you 3 pencils and they are pretty ok I think, I never had a problem. The only problem I had was signing in & out during 10min breaks. Since my hands were sweaty, my finger print was not going through lol

Members don't see this ad :)
wait so if i wear a hoodie and I feel hot during the exam, I simply cant take it off and hand it from my chair? Blasphemy. What bout wearing the hood part of the hoodie, can I put that over my head if it gets extremely cold? And if I can does this mean I have to keep it on the entire time?

The water could have writing in it. Jeez dude get your head straight.

Yeah I see how a water bottle can be considered cheating. I might have some acid in my pocket, and I might add some strong acid into the water and measure the pH which would be an unfair advantage. F.uck you AAMC. I understand they want to be strict, but if I'm hot let me take off my f.ucking sweatshirt!

I'm reading the test day procedures on AAMC's site and since I'm a first time taker, I was not aware of all of these policies.

Metal detector scan
No pencils, water bottles, watches. what if they have some ghetto ass pencils that I don't want to use?
If you're hott, f.uck you, they don't care. You either have to keep your sweatshirt on or go to a "secure area" and leave it there, while the clock keeps running.

The hell is this? I know they want to do everything possible to keep people from cheating, but WTF man. pretty sure it's easier to say what's up to Obama

I think even if you bring in a brand new unopened pencil, they'll still argue that they have pencils in there blah blah and eventually they'll make you put those pencils back in the locker.

Btw, regarding metal detector, I'm wondering how Wolverine could take the MCAT. lol

The AAMC is implementing cavity searches starting 2013. So it's best to take the MCAT this year. Count cho' blessings!

south-park-tsa.jpg

wait so if i wear a hoodie and I feel hot during the exam, I simply cant take it off and hand it from my chair? Blasphemy. What bout wearing the hood part of the hoodie, can I put that over my head if it gets extremely cold? And if I can does this mean I have to keep it on the entire time?

When I took it last year, I put the hoodie on my desk and they came in and made me put it away.

I put my hood up and they freaked out and told me to take it off.

I can get in the zone so much better if I have a hoodie on... Ugh.

you cant bring anything into the room other than the locker key they give you and your ID

also, i was asked in my test center if i wanted earplugs, apparently they were giving them out. i declined

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I see how a water bottle can be considered cheating. I might have some acid in my pocket, and I might add some strong acid into the water and measure the pH which would be an unfair advantage. F.uck you AAMC. I understand they want to be strict, but if I'm hot let me take off my f.ucking sweatshirt!

They checked pockets at my testing center. All pockets inside out before going in. If you have any kind of jewelry on, they HAVE to stay on the whole time even if it bothers you, you can take it off during your break.

Can we wear a zippered hoodie/sweatshirt/sweater? So that we can just unzipper the thing without having to take it off if it gets too warm? Or would that count as a jacket?

You guys want some cheese with your stupid complaints?

Grow a set (testicles or ovaries) and just take the GD test.

Can we wear a zippered hoodie/sweatshirt/sweater? So that we can just unzipper the thing without having to take it off if it gets too warm? Or would that count as a jacket?

I think you'd be safe doing this.

If possible, I would try taking one that doesn't have a hood just so you don't run into issues.

I think even if you bring in a brand new unopened pencil, they'll still argue that they have pencils in there blah blah and eventually they'll make you put those pencils back in the locker.

Btw, regarding metal detector, I'm wondering how Wolverine could take the MCAT. lol

Adamantium is invisible to metal detectors...that was one of my requirements.

sorry, couldn't resist

Metal detector scan

As if there weren't enough stress on test-day...

you think its hard for wolverine to get in, but just wait till lady deathstrike tries to get in
Lady-Deathstrike-x-men-61836_406_600.jpg

shes going have problems other than the metal detector

And screw that, I am wearing my zip up and down hoodie that I wear while I am studying, my sweats that are not meant to be worn outside my room, a pair of wool socks, and slippers. And I am going to zip my hoodie up and down whenever I feel like it.

I'm actually in favor of stricter MCAT security. I don't want any chance of a person cheating on the MCAT. See how many people successfully cheat on the SAT? We don't want people to become doctors if they weren't meant to become doctors in the first place.

I'm actually in favor of stricter MCAT security. I don't want any chance of a person cheating on the MCAT. See how many people successfully cheat on the SAT? We don't want people to become doctors if they weren't meant to become doctors in the first place.

I disagree. I'm obviously against cheating, but just because you cheat on the MCAT doesn't mean you'll necessary become a doctor. Chances are, you'll end up failing classes or not getting through med school.

I disagree. I'm obviously against cheating, but just because you cheat on the MCAT doesn't mean you'll necessary become a doctor. Chances are, you'll end up failing classes or not getting through med school.

From what I've been told, getting into med school is the tricky part. Once you're in, you have to work pretty hard to fail out. I'm not at all saying that med school is a breeze- it's more work than you can imagine. But these schools like to keep their graduation rates up, so they push you along as much as possible. At least that's what I've been told...

From what I've been told, getting into med school is the tricky part. Once you're in, you have to work pretty hard to fail out. I'm not at all saying that med school is a breeze- it's more work than you can imagine. But these schools like to keep their graduation rates up, so they push you along as much as possible. At least that's what I've been told...

well...one way to work really hard to fail out is to cheat or have a habit of cheating to get you through tough exams (MCAT being an example). Those habits = wasted tuition and almost became a doctor.

It's not that it's hard to fail out, it's actually really easy if you screw off. But most people who are in have the work ethic to see it through and don't screw off. That's where the low attrition rates come from...the adcoms actually do a good job of selecting the right students.

Back to the cheating thing, honestly if I saw someone cheating on the MCAT I would call their ass out in a heartbeat. We're not in high school anymore. This is competitive stuff and I'm not gonna let someone scoot by by cheating when I studied my butt off. But that's just me.