Are "What are my chances" threads even useful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemEngSoonMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is really only two things you need to know.

1. Your stats
2. The typical acceptance stats of the university you want to go in

If 1 < 2, then keep studying?

The probability of getting into a school isn't a concrete yes or no, but a graduate increase in probability based on the increase of your stats.

So if you haven't even done the 1001 practice questions of bio, chem, ochem, and physics, then obviously you haven't done the bare minimum, so what is a post going to do when you get an MCAT score of below 30? Give you a false sense of security? The time it took for you to post this thread and read every reply, you learned zero information about the actual content of the MCAT. You could have easily done 20 practice problems during this time which might have in itself increased your score by 0.05 points on the test :p

Members don't see this ad.

Are "What are my chances" threads even useful?

Yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is really only two things you need to know.

1. Your stats
2. The typical acceptance stats of the university you want to go in

If 1 < 2, then keep studying?

The probability of getting into a school isn't a concrete yes or no, but a graduate increase in probability based on the increase of your stats.

So if you haven't even done the 1001 practice questions of bio, chem, ochem, and physics, then obviously you haven't done the bare minimum, so what is a post going to do when you get an MCAT score of below 30? Give you a false sense of security? The time it took for you to post this thread and read every reply, you learned zero information about the actual content of the MCAT. You could have easily done 20 practice problems during this time which might have in itself increased your score by 0.05 points on the test :p

you have a point waltersdorf

This is true, but getting feedback if someone is midrange and doing well isn't a bad thing. The reality is that even with 4.0/45, your chances at a top 10 school aren't really that great! For instance, without research, volunteer or clinical experience but perfect stats, you have less than a 1 in 500 chance of Harvard interviewing you (vs about a 1 in 2 chance if you have those things along with perfect stats) and yes there really are people out there with excellent objective stats but who don't have the rest of their application in order. For them, feedback is essential, I think. I do, however, agree that if your objective stats are below the average for all but a small minority of the schools to which you plan to apply or below around 30/3.6 (near the nat'l avg), you should be focusing on your objective scores first and then your clinical, volunteer, and research experiences second.

This is true, but getting feedback if someone is midrange and doing well isn't a bad thing. The reality is that even with 4.0/45, your chances at a top 10 school aren't really that great! For instance, without research, volunteer or clinical experience but perfect stats, you have less than a 1 in 500 chance of Harvard interviewing you (vs about a 1 in 2 chance if you have those things along with perfect stats) and yes there really are people out there with excellent objective stats but who don't have the rest of their application in order. For them, feedback is essential, I think. I do, however, agree that if your objective stats are below the average for all but a small minority of the schools to which you plan to apply or below around 30/3.6 (near the nat'l avg), you should be focusing on your objective scores first and then your clinical, volunteer, and research experiences second.
where do you get this number? more than anything, how many people have perfect stats and NO EC experience? that number seems likely to be less than 10 in the history of the MCAT.

Keep in mind that WAMC threads have the value of, if nothing else, helping kids flesh out their lists. There is often a tendancy to be top heavy, but some people just aren't sure where they are competitive at. I for one had never heard of many medical medical schools that, in hindsight, I should have applied to rather than my list of lots of high and low tier schools with nothing in between.

The WAMC is not a forum one needs to unwillingly go through in order to get to any of the pre-professional forums. WAMC is a subforum of the pre-allo forum, listed on the forum list, but not necessary to enter in order to read pre-allo posts.

The WAMC is not a forum one needs to unwillingly go through in order to get to any of the pre-professional forums. WAMC is a subforum of the pre-allo forum, listed on the forum list, but not necessary to enter in order to read pre-allo posts.

OP got mod-burned.