Are you a first generation college student who is applying to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kg062007

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so...RESPECT! Its just a lot harder for people like us.

Members don't see this ad.

First to graduate HS, first to graduate college, and will be the first dokta in zeh family!!! PIMP. I win.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand why it's harder for people like us.

I am, but whats the point of this thread? It's not like people are going to come in here and say I'm not.. lol, well some might, just to prove me wrong :D

Who here is first gen. and applying as disadvantaged?

Love having parents who fail at everything. First gen is awesome **** yeah.

Yes. How is it more difficult?

Members don't see this ad :)
First to graduate middle school, HS, college, and hopefully be a doctor. Yay for immigrant parents from a rural area.

well put it this way, IN MY CASE, first generation college student apply to med school, means my parents did not graduate from a US hs, or have a degree in that case. this translates to them not know how important education is as well as your surrounding family

you first have to have a desire to learn, convince them why you deserve this chance, struggle with financial issues, hear over and over that you need to work and that should be your primary task before anything else. going to med school makes me feel like it is a privilege and huge sacrifice as i will make myself and mother struggle.

secondly, ppl who are not first generation= 2nd generation and above, might have an esteemed family that has had a head start with family members in college, dad and mom having a degree in so and so, getting great advice, having alot of $$ to get into those private schools, tutors, etc.

thats just my opinion. it has been a struggle as i am still in undergrad but also a great experience. i have a boat load of motivation and desire and feel i can concur anything.

well put it this way, IN MY CASE, first generation college student apply to med school, means my parents did not graduate from a US hs, or have a degree in that case. this translates to them not know how important education is as well as your surrounding family
No, it doesn't. If anything it'll probably make them realise how important education is so you don't have to suffer the same hardships as them. A traditional family from mainland China or the Punjab know all about that.

You also have affluent immigrants moving to North America, such as from places like Hong Kong.

In the end, it's not harder or easier financially for first gen families because first gen families are on a financial spectrum like those who are 3rd gen or higher.

First gen, disadvantaged, the whole nine. But I am not about to cry poor me. Those experiences mean something to me. I understand the world quiet a bit better and have more compassion because of it :love:

I am first gen to apply to medical schools too but don't see how this will factor in. Having well connected parents will be much more helpful.

No, it doesn't. If anything it'll probably make them realise how important education is so you don't have to suffer the same hardships as them. A traditional family from mainland China or the Punjab know all about that.

You also have affluent immigrants moving to North America, such as from places like Hong Kong.

In the end, it's not harder or easier financially for first gen families because first gen families are on a financial spectrum like those who are 3rd gen or higher.

i capitalized , IN MY SITUATION. anyway, what do you do if you are poor? work right? so my parents immigrated to US mainly for work. i was suppose to follow the same blue collar steps, i did not. and although education and is importance is heavily emphasized, growing up in a poor area like myself, education can also be a "cliche," and thats how my family viewed this.

Now its only me and my mother who have lived in the same home. no father, etc. i dont want to talk about hardship or struggling, this and that but that is my reality.

and NO, you cannot say 1st and 3rd gen family are in the same financial spectrum. 3rd gen families will likely have adapted to how to live and succeed in US. 1st gen families, for the most part, have to learn the hardway and work for every cent with no degree, no nothing.

I'm not first-gen, but this is an interesting topic. I would think that whether or not it's harder for you would depend on your specific situation. Some parents might be completely supportive of your academic goals, some may not be.

Imma be the first doctor in teh familyz.

First gen does not solely include immigrant families, many of whom left their home countries solely to succeed in the West. It can also include the poor family in the ghetto, the farmer, etc etc etc. And, from firsthand experience, those latter groups of families tend to be more concerned in making ends meet to extol the importance of education.

It's not black and white. Some parents don't value education and some do.

People with parents who graduated from college may have similar challenges regardless of how their parents view education.

OP, making a thread because you think you're so special is childish.

so, being a first gen is advantage or disadvantage for getting into medical school? Is there any significant affect??

Despite the support my parents have always given me in regards to my goals, I find it difficult to share some of my concerns about going through the motions of this process with them. That's about it.

Oh and the occasional black sheep of the family crack every now and again because I'm not going into nursing.

do you think being a first generation college student help?

do you think being a first generation college student help?

It helped in the sense that I went out seeking ways to fund my college education and research fellowships gave me the freedom to do cool science and get paid for it.

elosangeles:11398336 said:

you first have to have a desire to learn, convince them why you deserve this chance, struggle with financial issues, hear over and over that you need to work and that should be your primary task before anything else. going to med school makes me feel like it is a privilege and huge sacrifice as i will make myself and mother struggle.

secondly, ppl who are not first generation= 2nd generation and above, might have an esteemed family that has had a head start with family members in college, dad and mom having a degree in so and so, getting great advice, having alot of $$ to get into those private schools, tutors, etc.

thats just my opinion. it has been a struggle as i am still in undergrad but also a great experience. i have a boat load of motivation and desire and feel i can concur anything.

This is exactly what I went through, my dad graduated HS, mom didn't. Not a single in my family has earned a degree. I was once told by my dad, "if you plan on going to college you better join the military cause I can't help you at all." Kinda pissed me off but I am going to prove them wrong, I have worked since I was 14, full time, graduated highschool in honor classes, carry a good college gpa and I am more driven than ever, a because my dad said I couldn't do it without help. I chose med school because I want to be able to help the lesser society and hopefuly get on with Doctors without Boarders to help every once in a while.

This is exactly what I went through, my dad graduated HS, mom didn't. Not a single in my family has earned a degree. I was once told by my dad, "if you plan on going to college you better join the military cause I can't help you at all." Kinda pissed me off but I am going to prove them wrong, I have worked since I was 14, full time, graduated highschool in honor classes, carry a good college gpa and I am more driven than ever, a because my dad said I couldn't do it without help. I chose med school because I want to be able to help the lesser society and hopefuly get on with Doctors without Boarders to help every once in a while.

What do you mean by "lesser society?"

It's not black and white. Some parents don't value education and some do.

People with parents who graduated from college may have similar challenges regardless of how their parents view education.

OP, making a thread because you think you're so special is childish.
That's pretty much what I said; it's not black and white. It's not "easier" or "harder". It's just different.

I am a first gen- and youngest of 4 children, 1st to go to school.
It really depends on the situation. You can't say, "First gen= Harder" any more than you can say, "Cat= fluffy and white"- that is naive.
It depends on the individual student, the parents, the financial aspect, the location. Some first gens are "just like everybody else."

I'm the first to graduate from college in at least 200 years!!!!! Go me! My siblings, are quickly following however. I have a cousin who just graduated from Pepperdine, but I was still first!!!! :smuggrin:

First one in my immediate family to graduate college, ever. I never really thought about it much until just now.

Love having parents who fail at everything. First gen is awesome **** yeah.
Please don't judge too soon. This has never happened in America or Europe so it's hard to imagine but in other parts of the world, there were plenty of smart people who, for political or financial reasons, were barred from college/university.

It IS harder for first-gen students because our parents - without a college degree - almost certainly can't find well-paying jobs. Well, if your dad is 30% as successful as Bill Gates then it's a different matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
represent...
so if i undersntad this correctly, say if I just been in the US for say 7 years, my parent been working minimum wage jobs (no hs ofc). I can apply as disadvantage?

Please don't judge too soon. This has never happened in America or Europe so it's hard to imagine but in other parts of the world, there were plenty of smart people who, for political or financial reasons, were barred from college/university.

It IS harder for first-gen students because our parents - without a college degree - almost certainly can't find well-paying jobs. Well, if your dad is 30% as successful as Bill Gates then it's a different matter.

This is directed to me? I was just mad when I made my post. Of course I'm understanding of their situation and that they're doing their best to give me the best.

Two or three relatives have gone to college but I haven't seen some of them in 10 years so I might as well be first generation. My parents (dad: high school drop out, mom: high school graduate) never put an emphasis on my education. When I did well in high school they praised me. When I did poorly they didn't say much. My performance in college is my own responsibility and they don't take much interest in it, not that I expect them to.

I think my situation, being a more or less first generation college student, has had a negative impact on getting into college. My parents were unaware of the GPAs and SATs when I was in high school. My laziness and terrible marks didn't give me much of a choice for colleges. Going to a low ranking college could hurt my chances at medical school.