Are you a member of the APA or AACAP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChildPsychiatrist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering joining the APA and AACAP and am not really sure what the benefits are. Sure, the list of benefits given is long, but I would doubtfully benefit from much of what is listed. Does anyone have experience here with joining these organizations, and what you've gotten/not gotten from them? TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering joining the APA and AACAP and am not really sure what the benefits are. Sure, the list of benefits given is long, but I would doubtfully benefit from much of what is listed. Does anyone have experience here with joining these organizations, and what you've gotten/not gotten from them? TIA!

I did not benefit at all from APA, but I didn't really try so I'll defer to others with more experience.

AACAP is really a great organization. I have gotten 10x back what I put in in grants, travel awards, free food, etc. The leadership is accessible and effective and their are great mentorship opportunities.

Organized psychiatry has earned some of the bashing it has endured lately, but “those guys” are more “us” than we would like to admit. The APA remains focused on protecting private practice and keeping psychologists out of prescribing because that is the list of our majority’s interests. If your life is aimed at academics or large system care, it may seem that the APA isn’t vested in your issues and maybe it isn’t. It may look like a bunch of white males playing student government but all of us have the opportunity to join and make it different, or conversely, stay inactive and insure it will remain the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm happy to have my residents joining the APA--it's free the first year, and relatively low cost for them after that, with good access to academic resources, like the journal. (OTOH, I find it way overpriced as an attending, and have let my membership lapse.) I prefer to steer residents to subspecialty societies like AACAP, AAGP, APL, AAAP, APS, Academic Psychiatry, etc--most of them have trainee discounts, travel fellowships for annual meetings, and a strong desire to meet and mentor interested residents. They tend to be better networking experiences, as well as better opportunities to present posters, etc., as a trainee.

Reactions: 1 users
I was a member as a resident, but I dropped my membership for two reasons.

First, it is over priced. Everybody wants exorbitant membership dues or fees, and though the state medical boards and ABPN can pretty much force me to pay to play, the APA can't.

Secondly, and more importantly, the APA and the AACAP failed to support a universal health care option in any substantial manner and allowed Obamacare to become the poor compromise it is back when they had a real opportunity to influence that legislation. This is probably, as others have said, because the APA is more interested in preserving private practice income in the short term than it is helping those with mental illness, many of which cannot afford insurance. I decided I would not fund an organization that opposes fully universal healthcare.

Since socialized medicine is for the foreseeable future a lost cause in the U.S., I may rejoin just to get the conference discounts and put APA membership back on my C.V. Maybe others here are right and physicians like me should advocate for change as members. I'm not quite ready yet to concede that, however. Like the ABPN, I would like to see people stop giving them money, because money is the only language I feel the organization truly understands at this time.

Reactions: 1 users
They will try and get you to pay for the years you have missed rather than have you reapply.

I'd like to see the correlation with Step II-CK. I suspect that it is more reflective of test-taking skills in general....

Whoops--this was supposed to go on the PRITE thread!

Last edited:
Secondly, and more importantly, the APA and the AACAP failed to support a universal health care option in any substantial manner and allowed Obamacare to become the poor compromise it is back when they had a real opportunity to influence that legislation. This is probably, as others have said, because the APA is more interested in preserving private practice income in the short term than it is helping those with mental illness, many of which cannot afford insurance. I decided I would not fund an organization that opposes fully universal healthcare.

Since socialized medicine is for the foreseeable future a lost cause in the U.S., I may rejoin just to get the conference discounts and put APA membership back on my C.V. Maybe others here are right and physicians like me should advocate for change as members. I'm not quite ready yet to concede that, however. Like the ABPN, I would like to see people stop giving them money, because money is the only language I feel the organization truly understands at this time.

Totally.

Try these guys. Dues are only $120 per year and you can be sure they are going to the right cause.
http://www.pnhp.org/

The APA or AACAP couldn't have brought around universal healthcare. Thankfully, Scott Brown was elected in Massachusetts of all places to put an end to that.