Are You Active in Undergrad Life As a Medical Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FaithSaves

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you go to a medical school associated with an undergrad college, would it be a negative (or just uncommon ) to participate in undergrad activities? Ex: Be an advisor for a premed club, do some community service with an org you worked with before, attend undergrad parties, etc. Or do you mainly participate in medical school activities?

Especially if there really is not much of an age difference between Jr/Sr year and MS1, are you active in the undergrad life?

Members don't see this ad.

lolno

I went to like one or two undergrad parties as a MS1 with friends that were still in undergrad. I never went back again. In terms of advising/community service, again, lolno.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you go to a medical school associated with an undergrad college, would it be a negative (or just uncommon ) to participate in undergrad activities? Ex: Be an advisor for a premed club, do some community service with an org you worked with before, attend undergrad parties, etc. Or do you mainly participate in medical school activities?

Especially if there really is not much of an age difference between Jr/Sr year and MS1, are you active in the undergrad life?

Short on dates?

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't know there may be a stigma attending undergrad activities just one year away from college.
No going to game days with the undergrads/med students anymore?

If you go to a medical school associated with an undergrad college, would it be a negative (or just uncommon ) to participate in undergrad activities? Ex: Be an advisor for a premed club, do some community service with an org you worked with before, attend undergrad parties, etc. Or do you mainly participate in medical school activities? Especially if there really is not much of an age difference between Jr/Sr year and MS1, are you active in the undergrad life?
lol no. Something tells me you have no idea how busy you'll be in medical school.

@DermViser how busy will we be? Genuinely curious.
For the first 2 years, I think it depends on the schedule of the school. The "smarter" med schools have realized that the true learning takes place outside of sitting in a didactic lecture hall all day from 9 to 5, and thus they've decreased their actual lecture hours significantly i.e. lectures only from 8-12. If you have recorded lectures which you can play at 2x speed and P/F grading (esp. if it's true P/F) in the first 2 years, then your work-life balance will be even better. It'll definitely be harder than undergrad due to volume of info., but exercising, eating well, doing fun things every so often, etc. won't be a problem.

For MS-3, the hours will vary greatly depending on the rotation: Psych vs. Surgery, for example. The hours tend to be pretty much the same everywhere. I think the difference comes down to which schools have rotations that allow students to actually do something (write their own notes, etc.) vs. just sitting around and pretty much shadowing. The former tends to be better at academic, university teaching hospitals vs. the latter tends to happen at community type hospitals.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know what others here are talking about. If you want to go to a party with undergrads, then do it. In my class if its any night other than the weekend directly after a test it's like pulling teeth to get another med student to go out and get a few beers with you. Having friends outside of med school is important for keeping your sanity and reminding yourself what a bunch of weirdos everyone in medicine really is.

Now for advising premeds or doing community activities, then do these if you want to. Don't do it for a resume builder if that's the only reason you are doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't know there may be a stigma attending undergrad activities just one year away from college.
No going to game days with the undergrads/med students anymore?

I wouldn't call going to a college football (or basketball) game an "undergrad" activity, given that at any major university, maybe 1/5-1/6 of the stadium is undergrads, and the rest are faculty, staff, alumni, and other adult fans. We all went to football games in med school when the schedule allowed. But we weren't trolling fraternity row hanging out with the undergrads...we would have our own tailgate or go to a faculty/med school tailgate...

if by active you mean, banging undergraduates on the weekends and over abusing the med school card. Then yes i was very active. (also found my fiance this way)

Edit: she was in med school too, my year, so technically i didn't find her by meeting undergrads.

if by active you mean, banging undergraduates on the weekends and over abusing the med school card. Then yes i was very active. (also found my fiance this way)

Edit: she was in med school too, my year, so technically i didn't find her by meeting undergrads.

I'm not sure I want to know how these two seemingly disconnected things are actually connected.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a nontrad but I can't picture anything less appealing than an undergrad party or joining a premed club as an advisor

Reactions: 4 users
I don't know what others here are talking about. If you want to go to a party with undergrads, then do it. In my class if its any night other than the weekend directly after a test it's like pulling teeth to get another med student to go out and get a few beers with you. Having friends outside of med school is important for keeping your sanity and reminding yourself what a bunch of weirdos everyone in medicine really is.

Now for advising premeds or doing community activities, then do these if you want to. Don't do it for a resume builder if that's the only reason you are doing it.
Maybe you go to a higher tier school, in which students can be more _________ (insert competitive, studious, etc.).

I'm not sure I want to know how these two seemingly disconnected things are actually connected.

So a week before our orientation I met her at an undergrad party. And she asked me what I did I said I'm starting med school here, she goes "oh woww" so I'm tryna be like " ha it's no big deal " and playing it cool, she tells me she's an economic major in her 3rd year. So we are talking and stuff and nothin happened that day. And we were texting all week, she lied the whole time. She kept saying things like you must be so smart goin to med school, just kept boosting my ego. So I was like yeah I guess I'm pretty clever, always got good grades .Then on orientation day I saw her at orientation and she goes to me "I guess you aren't the only smart one". And I was like oh god.

Reactions: 7 users
So a week before our orientation I met her at an undergrad party. And she asked me what I did I said I'm starting med school here, she goes "oh woww" so I'm tryna be like " ha it's no big deal " and playing it cool, she tells me she's an economic major in her 3rd year. So we are talking and stuff and nothin happened that day. And we were texting all week, she lied the whole time. She kept saying things like you must be so smart goin to med school, just kept boosting my ego. So I was like yeah I guess I'm pretty clever, always got good grades .Then on orientation day I saw her at orientation and she goes to me "I guess you aren't the only smart one". And I was like oh god.
With a sense of humor that she has, she's definitely a keeper.

Reactions: 7 users

I"m confused, when did all "banging" of undergrads take place while over abusing the med school card? Are you talking about the 2 months between senior year of UG and starting med school?? Or after you met said fiance?

I"m confused, when did all "banging" of undergrads take place while over abusing the med school card? Are you talking about the 2 months between senior year of UG and starting med school?? Or after you met said fiance?
It must have been before he got his bout of priapism. Luckily he married her so she's stuck now.

Before, and a little after. We actually didn't start dating until the end of ms1.

She thought I was a jerk at first.

1) Asks rando coed at club esoteric medical question to evaluate mating potential.
2) Coed knows answer.
3) ??
4) Priapism.
Sounds like the Anastomoses method of choosing a potential spouse.

Reactions: 3 users
Before, and a little after. We actually didn't start dating until the end of ms1.

She thought I was a jerk at first.
Bc you said you might be a little smart? God forbid you have any self-esteem before heading into med school.

Bc you said you might be a little smart? God forbid you have any self-esteem before heading into med school.

No, because he was banging undergrads on the weekends. She might not have wanted him, but she didn't want to share him either.

Haha not only that. On the text messages she was enticing me to show off it's hard to explain. She'd say something like "I'm attracted too smart people" and id be like "well I am in med school you know."

That's just mild, pretty sure she showed my whole year these texts messages and all the girls thought I was pretty pathetic lol. I blame her though.

No, because he was banging undergrads on the weekends. She might not have wanted him, but she didn't want to share him either.

Actually once I started liking her I never actually did anything with anyone else. And once we started hooking up I def stopped which was actually 4-5 months into ms1.

Haha not only that. On the text messages she was enticing me to show off it's hard to explain. She'd say something like "I'm attracted too smart people" and id be like "well I am in med school you know."

That's just mild, pretty sure she showed my whole year these texts messages and all the girls thought I was pretty pathetic lol. I blame her though.
That's not fair at all. That's entrapment! So if a girl talks to a guy and tells him she's attracted to smart people, It's only natural for the guy to say he's smart. What is he supposed to say? "Yeah, well I'm not too bright, so I don't think we'll get along too well"?

Actually once I started liking her I never actually did anything with anyone else. And once we started hooking up I def stopped which was actually 4-5 months into ms1.
It's a good thing. Seemed like the black widow spider initially, by showing your texts to girls in your class, to ruin your rep with them (intentionally?).

That's not fair at all. That's entrapment! So if a girl talks to a guy and tells him she's attracted to smart people, It's only natural for the guy to say he's smart. What is he supposed to say? "Yeah, well I'm not too bright, so I don't think we'll get along too well"?

Haha that's what I said. So unfair

It's a good thing. Seemed like the black widow spider initially, by showing your texts to girls in your class, to ruin your rep with them (intentionally?).

Nah they are all really nice and thought it was funny and we are all friends now. But she said it was so obvious that I was playing the med school card. She said she'd never date a medical student for the LONGEST time

Nah they are all really nice and thought it was funny and we are all friends now. But she said it was so obvious that I was playing the med school card. She said she'd never date a medical student for the LONGEST time
I'm just wondering how else she wanted you to show you were smart. Do a differential equation? Or maybe she wanted you to be modest, which you initially were, but she kept prodding you, so obviously the easiest piece of evidence is your grades and getting into med school. Oh well, funny story to mention in your wedding speech or vows. lol.

I'm just wondering how else she wanted you to show you were smart. Do a differential equation? Or maybe she wanted you to be modest, which you initially were, but she kept prodding you, so obviously the easiest piece of evidence is your grades and getting into med school. Oh well, funny story to mention in your wedding speech or vows. lol.
ODEs, FTW. Works every time.

Haha in her defense I used to be so cocky before med school. Few months into ms1 that quickly went away lol.

While I certainly don't participate in undergrad activities, and I don't know any med student who does, I did manage to meet and marry an undergrad while in med school. She is two years behind me, but the age / life experience mismatch doesn't bother us.

Going to an undergrad party, unless it was for older / commuter undergrads, sounds like hell.

At the school I'm headed to, most of the students there said they go to the undergrad football games.

Same here I wasn't sure if that was common among other places.

While I certainly don't participate in undergrad activities, and I don't know any med student who does, I did manage to meet and marry an undergrad while in med school. She is two years behind me, but the age / life experience mismatch doesn't bother us.

Going to an undergrad party, unless it was for older / commuter undergrads, sounds like hell.

How did you all meet, was she a nursing student?

JK. Some med students at my school tend to head to bars after an exam and just relax but sometimes meet undergrads.

No because he tried using the med school card to pick up women. There are plenty of ways to come off as intelligent independent of academic pedigree and she was just trolling him in the end. I enjoy reading your posts but you come off a little clueless when it comes to women. But then you could also be disingenuous so who knows really!

Priap
Congrats on the upcoming nuptials! Mazel tov!

Reactions: 1 users
No because he tried using the med school card to pick up women. There are plenty of ways to come off as intelligent independent of academic pedigree and she was just trolling him in the end. I enjoy reading your posts but you come off a little clueless when it comes to women. But then you could also be disingenuous so who knows really!

Priap
Congrats on the upcoming nuptials! Mazel tov!
Actually if you see, initially, he didn't use med school as a way to pick up women. Might want to work on your reading comprehension.

Actually if you see, initially, he didn't use med school as a way to pick up women. Might want to work on your reading comprehension.

To be fair, this was Priapism's first post in this thread (bolding is mine)

To be fair, this was Priapism's first post in this thread (bolding is mine)
Yes, but he also said (bolding is mine):
Haha not only that. On the text messages she was enticing me to show off it's hard to explain. She'd say something like "I'm attracted too smart people" and id be like "well I am in med school you know." That's just mild, pretty sure she showed my whole year these texts messages and all the girls thought I was pretty pathetic lol. I blame her though.

Yes, but he also said (bolding is mine):
Yeah, Priapism quit once he started dating his fiancee, and I don't think he played the card to pick HER up that way. But he still did use the card by his own admission prior to that, so @somersetsays isn't technically incorrect.

Should he have called you out? No. He missed the point you were making.

Yeah, Priapism quit once he started dating his fiancee, and I don't think he played the card to pick HER up that way. But he still did use the card by his own admission prior to that, so @somersetsays isn't technically incorrect.

Should he have called you out? No. He missed the point you were making.
Yes, he definitely did miss the point I was making. But my expectations for a Medical student (accepted) are quite low.

One time I saw someone "forget" they had their white coat on as they were going to starbucks. Student, not a doc. I bet half the people in there were like " what a well dressed butcher."

Reactions: 2 users
op, you sound like you want to join a fraternity or sorority.

Reactions: 1 users