centroles

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
26
0
Status
PLEASE HELP.

I am an Carribean medical student and have a rather low Step 1 score. But I have two months off now and know that I can do STELLAR on the Step 2 if I take it end of Sept.

I plan to take Step 2 at end of Sept, fill out my ERAS application, and submit my ERAS Application in late October once my Step 2 score is available. I don't want residency programs to discard my application before getting a chance to see my high step 2 score.

So I'm wondering, will any of the lesser competitive IM residency programs simply stop looking at ERAS applications recieved in November and after.

Will I be at a huge disadvantage not filling out my ERAS application until November 1st instead Sept 1st.

I'm applying to Psych, IM and FM btw.

I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you very much.
 

jiy76

Where's The Booze?
15+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2002
316
0
Brooklyn NY
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Apply as soon as possible and have your score automatically released as it becomes available. Who knows maybe some FM or Psych program will give u a shot and then once ure improved step 2 score comes in more programs will hopefully respond. You don't know what response you will get but not applying guarentees u get no response
 
OP
C

centroles

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
26
0
Status
Thank you very much for your thoughtful answer.

Based on this reply...
I certainly can't speak for all programs in those fields. However:

1. Programs that fill many of their spots via prematch offers tend to run their interviews earlier than those that fill through the match. As they fill on a rolling basis, the earlier you interview the better your chances. Nov 1 is a bit late for these programs, but probably not the kiss of death.

2. Programs that fill via the match are going to be offering interviews, but will probably be waiting for MSPE's for IMG's. They will interview a bit later, and Nov 1st is fine.

There isn't a good answer to your question. If you apply early with a poor Step 1 only, you'll probably get a bunch of rejections. If you rock step 2, you'll have a much better chance of success. If you apply early, get rejected, and then get a stellar Step 2, you can consider recontacting those programs and asking them to reconsider. Whether they will or not is anyone's guess, you'll be lucky if >50% of them even bother looking at your application again.

You could split the difference -- send some apps early, and hold others until your Step 2 is in. Or, wait until step 2. I wouldn't fire off all of your apps early if your Step 1 is really bad and you think you can do really better on Step 2.
I think I will go ahead and apply after my step 2 scores get released, since many PDs, won't relook at applications they already rejected.