Are you born a surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Just curios.

Are some skills required to be successful as a surgeon uncontrollable (coordination, reaction time, ability to concentrate, etc.)? Are you born with “surgeon hands”?

Doctorino

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curios.

Are some skills required to be successful as a surgeon uncontrollable (coordination, reaction time, ability to concentrate, etc.)? Are you born with “surgeon hands”?

in a way, yes. talent can't be taught. much like the michael jordan's, tiger woods', wayne gretzky's of the sporting world, there are surgeons who have "it". hard to explain, but you realize it when you scrub in with them. no wasted motions, already a few steps ahead of everyone else like a chess grandmaster, calmly and cooly correct any problems that may surface. as they say you can teach almost anybody to operate, but you can't teach them to get to this level no matter how much they work at it. just like how very few people will ever reach the level of jordan, woods, gretzky etc no matter how hard they try.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
With the exception of very rare individuals, most of the "talent" is gained through sheer practice. Some of us have seen residents who seem to be skilled and pick up on technique with very little training and practice. These are the Michael Jordans of surgery and they are just as rare as finding an MJ on a random basketball court in your home town. Unlike B-Ball, it may very well be possible for an average surgeon to attain that level of skill.

The VAST majority of surgeons simply learn how to operate, how to maximize their effectiveness and have no more skilled "hands of a surgeon" than any one else with the same training. The aphorism "you can teach a monkey to operate" is not that far fetched.

Reactions: 2 users

Arch Guillotti

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 users

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

TraumaLlamaMD

Licensed to chill
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cut my own way of the womb wielding a scalpel, dunno about the rest of you.

latest

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SpecterGT260

Catdoucheus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cut my own way of the womb wielding a scalpel, dunno about the rest of you.

latest
What other procedures had your mother had done before? Retained surgical tools is a serious problem!

Reactions: 1 users