Are you doing it for the money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymous4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just want to know honestly how many want to become a dentist because of the money. If not, than what really drives you to want to be a dentist? I'm doing a post-bacc program now and I have no interest in any of my science courses. I'm hoping that I'll pick up some interest once I get into dental school but I really don't know.

Members don't see this ad.

Staring down the double barrels of $300,000 in loans, I think it's fair to say I'm not in it for the money :laugh:

It's a good profession; you get to work with your hands, be creative, help people and have the option to be your own boss. Good times regardless of pay.

It's a good profession; you get to work with your hands, be creative, help people and have the option to be your own boss. Good times regardless of pay.

all that stuff is definitely why i am doing it, but the money certainly helps me through some of the rougher days.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be cool to be a rancher and do just enough dentistry on the side to pay the bills.

Dentistry lets you:
be the boss
work 4 days a week
actually affect other people's lives for the better and permanently
work with your hands
work with all kinds of people
have a huge fish tank at work
be continually learning
be creative and be challenged

I think the money will be good but it all stays behind after you're dead :)
Money for me wasn't the motivating factor but it is a good additional benefit

Be your own boss, live comfortably, flexible hours- I inted to have kids (possibly one during school- eep!) so it'll be nice to be able to spend time with my future family. Personally I'm not in it for the $$. My fiance does quite well- he's a writer for a TV show on one of the major cable networks.