are you familiar with this salary structure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shivasHeroLike

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I just did a preliminary phone interview with a hospital for a FM job and we spoke about compensation...

she described it as they look at the median private practice earnings nationwide and will guarantee 80% of it in the first yr as my base salary with a guarantee that second yr i will hit the median mark as a base salary and will add on top RVUs.

Anyone familiar with this salary structure?

How would I find out what the median is for the yr?

Members don't see this ad.

so I just did a preliminary phone interview with a hospital for a FM job and we spoke about compensation...

she described it as they look at the median private practice earnings nationwide and will guarantee 80% of it in the first yr as my base salary with a guarantee that second yr i will hit the median mark as a base salary and will add on top RVUs.

Anyone familiar with this salary structure?

How would I find out what the median is for the yr?
The most likely place to find physician salaries is the annual MGMA data. The most recent I could find (for free) was 2012, and median outpatient only (no OB) for FM was 187k, 80% of which is 150k. To get more recent you'll have to pay for the survery results.

Like VA said, they'll be using MGMA data. Keep in mind that income guarantees are actually self funded loans -- if you do not cover your spread, you will owe them money (or time).

Another thing to consider... 80% of median may or may not be that great of a deal anyway, depending upon the distribution. What you really want to know is the dollar figure that represents and where that falls in the distribution. Then be sure to determine how your productivity is to be measured and where that falls as well. You do not want to have to produce at median productivity levels for 80% of median pay.

The best thing to do is to find a way to get access to the MGMA data and then see what they're offering. Good luck.