Are you getting enough endo patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's really important to me to go to a school where I can get a good foundation in endo. I've seen a lot of UW students struggling to get endo patients because the endo post-docs are taking them.

Is this common? I'm looking at applying to UW, UoP, Tufts, Penn, and USC.

Members don't see this ad.

It's really important to me to go to a school where I can get a good foundation in endo. I've seen a lot of UW students struggling to get endo patients because the endo post-docs are taking them.

ANY dental school that has an endo residency or an AEGD attached to it will see a fair number of the endo's syphoned off from the under grads to the residents. That's pretty much a fact of life, especially if the endo faculty deems the tooth "too difficult" for a student.

ANY dental school that has an endo residency or an AEGD attached to it will see a fair number of the endo's syphoned off from the under grads to the residents. That's pretty much a fact of life, especially if the endo faculty deems the tooth "too difficult" for a student.

Which is the biggest bunch of crap...

Temple weeds through our endo cases like little endo trolls. I had three anteriors referred because the 23 yr old had well controlled diabetes?!?! I am glad I am done with our endo requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I like the endo residents. No problems at all, and very helpful. They have taken a couple cases but to be honest, it was probably in the better interest of the patients. Getting to graduation requirements shouldn't be a big problem but will take some work- Three molars three anteriors.

I've done 2 retreats(1 was a lower 2nd molar), 1 upper 2nd molar, 1 upper 1st molar and another lower second molar.

Almost halfway done with my requirements! :(

No endo residents in sight at Pacific.

I've done 2 retreats(1 was a lower 2nd molar), 1 upper 2nd molar, 1 upper 1st molar and another lower second molar.

Almost halfway done with my requirements! :(

No endo residents in sight at Pacific.

The best schools to attend are ones without residents. You can bet on getting all retreats down by endo residents. The regular dental students get to do most of the endo if residents aren't around to snatch up all the good stuff. UOP is a damn good schoool =P

Which is the biggest bunch of crap...

Temple weeds through our endo cases like little endo trolls. I had three anteriors referred because the 23 yr old had well controlled diabetes?!?! I am glad I am done with our endo requirements.

Not saying this to be an jerk, but in my experience (15 years since I did my 1st endo and well over 1500 total teeth treated) there's something to be said for the diagnostic ability that comes with experience and then being able to use it to realize what's an "easy" tooth and what LOOKS like an easy tooth. After all, there is a living body attached to that graduation requirement, and what's in their best interest comes before what's in your best graduation requirement interest

I need endo to graduate. $#@! Endo residents keep taking all my patients. I'm left to recruit patients and tell them to not let the endo residents treat them or my clinic schedule won't have an opening for months for the remainer of their care. This may be an ethical breach. Playgroud rules for ethics apply in dental student versus endo resident situation.

At Maryland, the issue isn't the endo residents stealing patients (trust me, the residents always seem busy doing difficult molar endo, retreats, etc). The issue is the value that the patient population places in saving their teeth. Nine times out of ten, a patient in need of RCT opts for the extraction due to cost.

The faculty here does everything in their power to direct cases to students in need of "experiences."

Hup

Not saying this to be an jerk, but in my experience (15 years since I did my 1st endo and well over 1500 total teeth treated) there's something to be said for the diagnostic ability that comes with experience and then being able to use it to realize what's an "easy" tooth and what LOOKS like an easy tooth. After all, there is a living body attached to that graduation requirement, and what's in their best interest comes before what's in your best graduation requirement interest

Couldn't agree more, and my post never said anything about what you are implying.

Our endo residents are ALL very cool and so are the faculty. It just gets frustrating to some of my classmates (remember I am done with my endo requirements) when grad endo is booked until Nov 2012 and no one can get a case...

Not complaining, just stating my observations.

When I went to San Antonio, the undergrads were in control of providing comprehensive care for their patients. No one went through my patient charts to steal an endo case. If the patient needed endo, we would schedule them for RCT in the Endo dept and we would complete the procedure under the supervision of the Endodontists.