Are you getting the 2011 First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDrToBe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what are your thoughts with regard to getting the latest version of FA. I have the 2009 version that I've been annotating, and I've even included some stuff from the 2010 version in it. Suffice it to say, I'm feeling pretty attached and not sure if I want to switch, or if I even need to. Anyone in that situation, what did you do/ are planning to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Im in the exact same boat. I went ahead and pre-ordered FA 2011 because I've heard its really helpful to write in questions/notes from USMLE world. Also, I'm sick of writing in all the updates. I started writing my annotations on sticky notes so I can just transfer them

I am simply because I'm doing DIT, and they follow the latest edition of FA (and I don't want to go searching for things when the page numbers don't line up right). However, I know other people who just use old editions if they're going through it themselves - I don't think they change it much from year to year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am simply because I'm doing DIT, and they follow the latest edition of FA (and I don't want to go searching for things when the page numbers don't line up right). However, I know other people who just use old editions if they're going through it themselves - I don't think they change it much from year to year.

10% is the word on the street. Why would someone voluntarily give up 10% of the test material?

It cost like 40 bucks or so to get shipped to your door, right? Just get it. Odds are the majority of the stuff you annotated will overcomplicate things anyway. Most people I know that did all the writing in their's during the first 2 years got a new one and started from scratch for the most part, but kept the old one around in case they recalled some kind of note that helped them out.

I seriously spend about as much money to fill up my gas tank. If you drop several hundred on a Qbank, might as well have the greatest and latest to go along with it.

I think there was like 40+ pages between 2008 and 2010. I actually have both but haven't looked. It is a long story why I have 2008.

I understand the attachment issue. I used a 2006 FA to prepare for my shelves. Once the 2009 version came out, I picked it up to do real annotations. Honestly, it was a wise decision on my part.

If you are deep in step studying (opposed to simply adding as you go in your second year classes) it may be unwise to switch, especially if you color code or have some system not able to reproduced in teh new versions. You will see some white space dissapear, and the pages will look different.

As far as "missing content" anything thats added or changed will likely come up in a Qbank. If its not in your book, then you'll annotate it. Nothing lost except maybe a little time.

Bottom line would be to get the new one. Do NOT refuse the new one because of money, that is foolish. But if it will greatly impact your study time to unnecessarily copy over details, you gain little by buying the latest version, especially when using a Qbank to supplement.

My issue with the new one is the errata. When do they come out with those? I don't want to be memorizing the wrong stuff... I'm using 2010 right now which has all its errors corrected.

Yeah, my issue is with the errata and annotations (definitely don't have a problem with cost, considering how much I've spent on med school so far!). I have been using Kaplan Qbank since October, so my annotations are from that mostly. But I think you guys are right, the new one comes out in January so if I get it as soon as it comes out I should be able to fully annotate it by March. No sense in missing out on high yield stuff. In the meantime I'll just use both, and transfer the info from the 2009 version as needed. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last year the new edition was on sale (by that I mean discounted) on amazon sometime in January. Not saying they will necessarily do that again but keep your eyes peeled. (I got it shipped for 22 bucks) Just looking through my records and it was in early January as I ordered it on the 7th. (I'm hoping they do the same deal so I can pick up the new edition)