Are you going to Albany Med for sure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epidemic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I got into Albany Med and will be starting there in the fall. Anyone know when orientation is and when classes start?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hahahaha Welcome to Albany. Stay O-U-T of Arbor Hill :scared: :scared: And Hamilton Hill :scared: :scared: I've lived here all my life, and am looking forward to leavning in August. :smuggrin:

Prozach,
What is so bad about Albany?

Members don't see this ad :)
bostonmed said:
Prozach,
What is so bad about Albany?

It's not really that bad, it's just that in recent years, mass groups of gangs and criminals from NYC have gotten chased up here and things have deteriorated in the city pretty badly. It's just not the most pleasent place to stroll around. Albany Med is a great hospital, and a great school, but the city itself is not my favorite place. Four years shouldn't be bad, but after 18 years of living here I'm ready to move on! :oops: :oops:

Hey, im over from a different forum. Im also in Albany and would agree with Prozach. Albany just isnt the best city. Im originally from Long Island New York, and Albany is quite different. Its a pretty small city with a larger suburb area, everything seems to close pretty early. I dont think there are alot of activities/things to do in Albany. I feel its kinda lacking in nightlife,restaurants, attractions. Im over at Albany Pharmacy which is right next to Albany Med. There are some nice areas , but there are also the areas you just want to avoid, Arbor Hill and other neighborhoods that arent in the best condition. Albany is a pretty poor city, there are alot of rundown buildings downtown and some "ghetto" areas. But it is nice to drive outside Albany and be in the countryside and NYC is about 3.5 hours away also Boston isnt too far.

Epidemic...
If ya find out when orientaion/classes start, let me know...I think it's a bit later than most - late August/early Sept - but I'm not sure.
Either way, I'll see ya in the fall.

Epidemic said:
Hi All,

I got into Albany Med and will be starting there in the fall. Anyone know when orientation is and when classes start?

Thanks!

I would like to bump this up. I plan on going to Albany in the fall as well. Just got a place on S. Lake St. I'm wicked excited. We should be getting some info end of June, and then orientation info at the end of July. So... who's coming with me?

Well, I'll be there...and I'm excited! Most likely staying in the new res complex unless I hear opinions against doing so. See you there!

I called the admissions office...orientation starts on August 25th, and classes will start on Aug 30th.
Epidemic...where did you find out about the res complex? Is it on the "campus"?

CaptainZero said:
I called the admissions office...orientation starts on August 25th, and classes will start on Aug 30th.
Epidemic...where did you find out about the res complex? Is it on the "campus"?

I got the info from Smiles6. It looks like it's on the campus (there are abunch of pictures on the website). It's meant for students at Albany Med, Albany Law and Albany Pharm. Check out the site: http://www.uhcollegesuites.com/index.htm

They apparently fill up really quick, so if you're interested give them a call.

Thanks for the info on orientation and classes! I guess I'll see you there!

Epidemic said:
I got the info from Smiles6. It looks like it's on the campus (there are abunch of pictures on the website). It's meant for students at Albany Med, Albany Law and Albany Pharm. Check out the site: http://www.uhcollegesuites.com/index.htm

Thanks for the reply...See ya in August :thumbup:

Epidemic said:

Man, that's some nice housing! It sure beats the crappy dorms that were there when I was a student (1992-96). Picture this: 7 floors, each floor with 4 'suites', 6 rooms per suite shared ONE average sized fridge, and each floor had one very narrow kitchen with a sink and oven range. Imagine 24 people all trying to make dinner at 6pm at once in a kitchen that was 4x7 feet. And there were 2 communal style bathrooms per floor, so 2 suites shared a BR. And each suite had one 'big' room (probably 12x17 feet) and 5 regular rooms(no exaggeration here, they were about 12x9 feet). About as nice as the average halfway house.

I don't know what rental rates are in Albany any more. They're probably pretty cheap, but these rooms look pretty nice. If there's anyone debating renting outside vs these rooms, I strongly advise that you apply for the uhcollegesuites. Rentals in Albany can be pretty run down and street parking will be a bear in the winter. Much as I hated the dorms, they were very close and it was nice not to have to worry about parking before class (or digging out my car for em to even get to class. That doesn't mean I didn't have to dig my car out of the dorm parking lot about a dozen times, however). Now that they have housing fit for humans, you should take advantage of it.

Although, from the website it doesn't look like they're quite done building.

So most people are going for this student housing kind of place?

How far is your place on S. Lake St. from AMC, Solousy?

I noticed people mentioned places not to live, but can anyone mention areas that are good places to live? And this thing called snow . . . what's that all about? :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
avicoo said:
So most people are going for this student housing kind of place?

How far is your place on S. Lake St. from AMC, Solousy?

I noticed people mentioned places not to live, but can anyone mention areas that are good places to live? And this thing called snow . . . what's that all about? :eek:

I reserved my spot in the student housing because it seems really convenient. The lease is only the length of the school year, so I don't have to worry about paying for months that I'm not there or subletting. Also, cable, telephone, high-speed, furnishing, and utilities are included. Having said all of that, I haven't actually gone to see the place yet.

Good point avicoo: if anyone could mention ideal places to live in Albany, it'd be appreciated!

Snow? It's the wind chill factor that'll really get to you!

So you are saying there won't be too much snow, or what?

My concern is digging my car out of the snow and driving in the snow/ice. I am a big wuss when it comes to the cold though so I already know I am in trouble. :p
Are you used to living in a similar climate?

The student housing looks really nice, but it is not a possibility for me for a number of reasons.

Epidemic said:
if anyone could mention ideal places to live in Albany, it'd be appreciated!

The South End or anything around Clinton Street should be really nice.

avicoo said:

My concern is digging my car out of the snow and driving in the snow/ice. I am a big wuss when it comes to the cold though so I already know I am in trouble. :p

The student housing looks really nice, but it is not a possibility for me for a number of reasons.

It snows in upstate NY. A lot. Being from an apparently warm climate, you might actually appreciate the beauty of the snowfall in Albany.

For a day. After that you'll be cursing it along with the rest of us. It's very common to get 4-5 inches per day for several days in a row. If you can get it, try and get a garage space or off street parking at least (if you aren't going to be in the student housing). You can't imagine how much snow the plows can throw on your car if you're parked on the street all the time.

avicoo said:

Yeah, I used to live in Montreal! I think I just got used to the snow just 'cause it was always there. What I always dreaded when I lived in Montreal were the days the wind chill made it feel like 30 degrees colder than it actually was!

Hey guys. Biumping this up. I'll be in the class this upcoming year, barring a waitlist change and my decision to atually accept that waitlist change. So, I'm starting to think about the logistics of it all, and I'm looking for roomates. Although thos apartments look nice, my bet is that they are small and cramped, like being in the college dorms all over again. I don't know, I want to know who has actually seen them?

I'm looking for housemates, and preferably, housemates who'll be out there and can check out the scene. I went to college nearby, but I never went into Albany proper, so I'm not sure what the housing is like. They'll send you a housing list if you want, just call. Anyway, lets keep this rolling. Loking forward to meeting all of you. Please write, I'm getting tired of waiting.

Oh, and orientation starts Aug. 25th.

drtofu66 said:
It snows in upstate NY. A lot. Being from an apparently warm climate, you might actually appreciate the beauty of the snowfall in Albany.

For a day. After that you'll be cursing it along with the rest of us. It's very common to get 4-5 inches per day for several days in a row. If you can get it, try and get a garage space or off street parking at least (if you aren't going to be in the student housing). You can't imagine how much snow the plows can throw on your car if you're parked on the street all the time.

I grew up in the snowbelt north of syracuse so I know what the snow can be like. You will actually start to like the perpetual coat of white, as long as you dont have to drive too much. The snowfall amounts in Albany are usually a little less than Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester... so its not that bad, you will be fine.

Its not all that cold in Upstate NY, cause when it gets too cold, it doesn't snow as much. The temp is usually in the high 20s to low 30s during the coldest part of winter.

I was holding a spot at Albany Med, but just got into BU off the waitlist, so I will be (with a heavy heart) giving the spot up. I had started to look forward to moving to Albany greatly. Upstate New York is a nice place to live and the people are very friendly. I choose BU though since it was my first choice all along. Good luck to everybody!

Hey guys! does anyone know if Albany has made their waitlist yet? I'm sure the "Under Consideration" people like myself are dying to know. Thanks!

Hey all. Starting to look into the whole roomate/housing thing. Anyone who'd like to start discussing living together, guy or girl, it don't matter, shoot me a line. Gotta get some logistics nailed down, at least.

I have lived in the Albany area all of my life (25 years now) and in response to some of the more negative things said about Albany, it is NOT that bad. Yes, stay out of Arbor Hill if possible. And while there are some rundown buildings, Albany also has some beautiful architecture to appreciate (just take a look at some of it on your ride down I-787) and there is plenty to do. You have the museum, movie theaters, tons of restaurants, and the Palace and the Pepsi Arena close by which bring tons of entertainment to the area year-round. Not far away outside of Delmar, you have a place called 5 Rivers which is a gorgeous area to go for a long walk or a picnic. Not that you'll have all the time in the world to do these things, but it's nice to know it's available.

And regarding housing, I would say anything that says it's in the 'Pine Hills' neighborhood is worth looking at. That is near both Albany Med and Albany Law. I would disagree with looking at the South End or Clinton Ave - not good areas.

Hope this helps and good luck to you all!

anyone have any info on when Albany will have their waiting list made? thanks!

lukeday99 said:
Hey all. Starting to look into the whole roomate/housing thing. Anyone who'd like to start discussing living together, guy or girl, it don't matter, shoot me a line. Gotta get some logistics nailed down, at least.

Hi,

Just wondering why more people aren't looking into the university heights residence. I applied for a spot there, but don't know much about it.

I'm gonna go down one day to see it sometime in the next couple of weeks. If I'm not too impressed I guess I'll let you know and I'll be in the housing/roomate hunt too!

hey drmed,
i called albany, this week, i wanna say it was wednesday. Someone in the office told me that they have made their list but b/c of a computer virus or whatnot, they havne't been able to notify ppl. if u make it onto the A list then you should get an email, otherwise you will get snail mail. Doesn't it feel like its pretty late to get an Alternate list going now?

samiam said:
hey drmed,
i called albany, this week, i wanna say it was wednesday. Someone in the office told me that they have made their list but b/c of a computer virus or whatnot, they havne't been able to notify ppl. if u make it onto the A list then you should get an email, otherwise you will get snail mail. Doesn't it feel like its pretty late to get an Alternate list going now?

thanks samiam. i got the same story when i called on monday too. definitely does suck to be waiting this late to just find out if one is on the waitlist list or not. hang in there! :thumbup:

Bump for a new month. Ok, whose a definite, cause I am. I love the AMC profile thing, brilliance. man, some are so cool, and some are so lame it hurts. Hopefully, I'll get lots of responses here from the cool folks. Peace out, PM me if ya wanna chat!-Luke

is there any waitlist movement at all at albany????

samiam,

I just gave up my AMC acceptance. I don't know if they are already overbooked but . . .

Good Luck :luck:

Hi guys! Looks like last minute I'll be going to AMC! Coming all the way from Los Angeles and I still kinda have no place to stay :scared:

Anyone by chance looking for a rommate? Or have any suggestions on where to start looking for housing?

Thanks!