Are you guys being creative?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady in red

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, about 30%-40% of secondaries ask "why did you choose to apply here". So I looked on their website or in MSAR and found something unique about their curriculum etc that I liked and wrote about it. I am thinking, especially for private schools, they are going to get a bunch of statements from applicants that all sound the same: "I would like to attend ...SOM because I like their 1 st year curriculum, the clinical facilities and faculty". Not quite that simplistic, but close to it. Am I right? I was thinking that for people who applied to a lot of out-of-state schools, many did not even know much about the school until they got that essay and had to read about it somewhere. What do you guys think? Or are you being more creative than this?

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to weave a little bit about me into my answers so as not to sound entirely formulaic. It's geting harder and harder to come up with new stuff though. I'm getting pretty sick of myself.

In addition to the curriculum, "honor of attending such a fine institution" crap, I also like to include why I would like to live in that particuluar area. For example, on my UVM application, I talked about loving the weather (I am from MN), outdoor ice-hockey, and skiing. I also like to mention if I have friends or relatives that attend there, and how they have influenced me.

I remember always adding a personal reason for wanting to attend the school (and to show that I had roots/support system in place should anything go awry during school). For example, I used to live in the area, have friends in the area, etc. Hope that's helpful. Good luck!