Are you guys still human?

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by silas2642, Dec 10, 2005.

1. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How about happy? I'm walking into medicine with this Patch Adams way of looking at treating at patients, and I was wondering how on earth do you keep your humanity during this extremely difficult and intense time? Any regrets going into psychiatry? What's the worst part about it? The best part about it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What time, exactly? This 'modern era?'

Just buy a Harley.

4. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Well, I've heard from so many docs that residency, especially internship is absolute hell-- the most dehumanizing, grueling experience ever. To the point where you actually wish the patients who you know have no chance of making it would die soon so you could get some sleep, the parts where attendings put you on the spot, asking you questions you don't know the answers to, and trying to make you look like an idiot. The long hours, the endless nights, the strained relationships, and the fact that no one really knows what you've been through except the people you work with-- how do you deal with all of this?

5. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    All that stuff you just mentioned is true.

At least for me, the most important thing is to remember the ultimate goal: finishing residency and practicing on my own. No friggin admission sheets, rectals, and being at the beck and call of the inpatients that demand to "talk to the doctor" every hour.

Residency is finite - they can beat you down but they can't stop the clock. Have outside interests and pursue them.

6. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    BTW Sazi appears to be doing a tough residency too for psych - I don't think all of us will have to endure his hardships!

I for one will be doing 2 months of family med for part of my requirement - God willing I get my number one that is :)